Now I want to use this opportunity to tell you more about another ministry team partner. Mr. Noah Chagwi does one of the most thankless jobs imaginable. His role gives us little interaction together each day. We see him for a few hours at night and nothing else. That's because Noah is our night guard. He faithfully comes every evening at 6pm. He manages the gate, watches the compound, and secures things throughout the night.
Noah never complains. He has come sick, tired, injured, and with many other things on his mind. Noah's family lives back up country and he sees them only twice a year. He is here working to send money to help his children finish school. Noah has never asked me for money. This is an important thing you need to understand. There are so many many needs that our Kenyan friends and family have to face on a regular basis. They often need to seek assistance for medical bills, school fees, and travel expenses. These are basic needs that so many lack the resources for yet Noah has never asked me for any of these. I have no doubt that there are needs like these in his life, but he continually finds a way forward through his faithfulness to God. I have been so surprised by him in this area that I've asked him, "are there any needs you have? Is there anything I can do for you?" Noah never complains.
Noah is wise. I have watched Thomas, who is 12 years Noah's junior, spend hours consulting Noah for advice. He sees the wisdom in this man and recognizes what scripture says about seeking Godly counsel. I also have gone to Noah when I have cultural questions, personal frustrations, and everything in between. He always listens. He is patient. He thinks before he speaks. In following up on some of the students at the Bible College, I inquired about Noah to Pastor Indiazi (the director). He said that Noah was probably the brightest and best student in the whole college. I asked why. He replied, "I think he discerns better than most Kenyans."
Noah is a Godly man. Noah is one of the main elders of his small P.G.A. Church. While his pastor was away, off and on, for 2 years finishing school, Noah was filling in the duties of the head pastor. He would preach. He would administrate. He would visit the sick and the widows (which are many in his church). All week, he was wrapped up in the duties of pastorial care. Now this is important for you to understand. Noah arrives at work at 6 pm. He works until 6 am. He goes home to sleep for 3-4 hours. He gets up and begins to go around visiting his church members, taking food to those in need, praying for sick persons who would know his role and show up at his doorstep, and share Christ with his neighbors. Noah never asked me for anything along the way. That is sacrifice. That is seeing a bigger need than a few hours of sleep. Noah has reluctantly shared with me how he has given much of the rest of his paycheck to a mama with sick kids or a family in desperate need. Noah gives often.
As a result of Noah's lifestyle for the kingdom, God has used him to multiply the church. We spent some time together several months back and I went through what this ministry does on a weekly basis. I explained the evangelism and discipleship ministry. Noah was very interested in the materials we used. So I gave him some to begin using as he goes out. I told him that after the summer months when things weren't so busy, I would be honored to go with him as he shared to his community. But Noah wasn't looking for a "Mzungu" (white man) to hold his hand, give him money, and do things for him. Noah just needed the tools to work in the garden.
I want you to know that in the last 5 months, Noah has led over 50 people to Christ, conducts a New Believer's Class at his church on Sunday afternoons, and has single-handedly DOUBLED his church! They don't even have enough room for the people that are now attending. They are desperately seeking another location. They know it will cost money and there will be huge needs. But Noah probably won't tell me those things unless I ask. Because Noah has seen something that I hope every partner has the opportunity to see...
... Kenya needs Kenyans reaching them. And they are far more capable and effective than they realize. Just look at my friend, Noah Chagwi. He is a fine model of faithfully trusting the Lord to guide. Noah is only a servant... and nothing more. (and he will tell you the exact same thing)

Noah, his wife Lucy, and their youngest son Baldwin
1 comment:
WOW! What an awesome testimony, Noah has. Thanks for sharing it with us in this post!
Hope you are doing well Lindy!
Post a Comment