Tuesday, August 11, 2009

He Never Stops Amazing Me

This scenario is too good to be made up.  There is no way that I (yes even I) could make up something as awesome as the literary picture that I want to paint for you.  What I was privileged to be a part of today is nothing short of beautiful.  As I stepped back to view the scene before me, I couldn't help but marvel at how cool God still proves himself to be!

I have a friend in Kenya.  Actually, that's not doing him justice:  I have a very good friend in Kenya who does more for me than I could ever do for him.  He has helped this ministry and my family in more ways than I can recount to you.  He has transported us places, taken us out for meals, prayed for us during difficult circumstances, supported our national brothers, given us gifts, brought us guests, and been as close to us as any of our family members back home.  His wisdom and insight are more valuable to me than any amount of money.  He knows everyone and serves them all with humility and zeal.  He loves the Lord.  He loves him so much that we rarely travel anywhere in his vehicle without first pausing to pray before starting it.  And he is a former Muslim.  Yes, my friend is originally from Iran.  He came to know Christ and was ostracized from his family for doing so.  Yet he remains loyal to the One who saved his soul.  And I am his friend too.

On this particular day, we had made arrangements to travel downtown to some meetings we needed to have for the ministry.  This was the first time that I would have the fortune of spending an entire day with my friend.  (Usually our conversations and meetings conclude before you can place an order at a drive-in)  We met at one of his other friend's businesses near the center of town.  This is an older man that he has been witnessing to for several years.  The man is quite successful, yet apart from his family.  This man is soft-spoken but very direct in his speech.  Those who work for him, serve him with a great deal of respect and honor.  This is something that he expects from them all I would presume.  This man is very intelligent, yet very much disassociated from Christ.  He knows all the traditions from his heritage, but wants no part of it.  He chooses to be "autonomous" from religion of any kind despite his nation's long-standing devotion to God.   It's interesting because most Israelis are committed to all their culture holds dear; especially with reverence to God.  If you just missed that last comment let me put it another way:  this man is an Israelite.

I hope you are starting to see where I am going with this.

So there I sat; a 33 year old American believer taking coffee in the office of a wealthy atheistic Israeli while his best friend, a converted Muslim from Iran, is sharing Christ for the 5,280th time.  I listened as both of these older gentlemen would pound each other with cutting ideological quips and then turn to me and say something along the lines of, "but this man is a good man and I love him."  Wow!  

Never in a million years could I have imagined that I would witness a son of Esau sharing the good news of Christ with a child of Jacob.  Yet, right in front of me this made-for-tv movie was playing out.  My friend has spent the last 16 years showing his Israeli friend that Jesus is in the business of changing lives.  He lives each day in hopes that his life will demonstrate to him the power of that truth.  And I think it will!  

These stories only exist in Christian novels, right?  Seriously you guys, this is too amazing to be fabricated.  God is in the business of getting our attention and changing our lives.  He has used combustible shrubs to reach a scared murderer, man-eating whales (or great fish for you PC people out there) to gain the attention of runaway ambassadors, retina-burning light to stop would-be assassins, and a former Muslim to reach a stubborn Jew.   I don't know when this will happen, but I am now more committed than ever to pray for my friend's efforts.  And I want you to pray for him too.  He needs our prayers and support as he lives out his faith in front of his friend.  I am giving him my prayers and admiration.  I hope you will do the same.

God is in the business of changing lives.  And I was privileged to see the evidence of one unimaginable life sharing with his "hated" brother.  He is mighty to save indeed!

1 comment:

Lindsey Broere said...

Unbelievable! I can't wait to share this with Neil...thanks for the post!