James' surgery was indeed success, however, there was some unfortunate news as well. When the doctor got into his ear, he found that the bones inside James' ear that are supposed to move (to reverberate sound), were stationary. They are unable to move because of scar tissue. Unfortunately he is going to have to have 2 or 3 more surgeries and they will have to take place 3 months apart. AND they can only do one ear at a time. (If they did both at the same time, he wouldn't be able to hear at ALL.) The American MD that did the surgery is going back to the US and the permanent ENT MD won't return until January. So the next surgery cannot take place until next year. I must admit that I feel a bit discouraged by this, but the doctor was very positive saying that the grafting went very well and felt like once it's all over, James would hear much much better. I just feel so bad for him. We have decided to wait to tell him for a few days until he's feeling a better.
Honestly, he seems to be feeling pretty well. I have to constantly remind him not to jump around or play too hard with Ezra. (Man, they are best friends!) Ezra is constantly reaching out for James to pick him up. It's so precious. Chingi is in from school for 3 weeks so he has been staying with us as well since he missed the Easter gathering here with the other boys. We are having such a great time together. I secretly don't want them to leave! The dressing on James' ear comes off tomorrow and I will treat the incision and replace the cotton in his ear. I'm anxious to see how it looks.
Please continue to pray for James and the healing to be quicker than usual so that we can move on to the next appointment(s), hearing tests, and surgery. He does have to go for follow-up visits every 2-3 weeks for the next 2 months so the doctor can make sure that the graft is taking well.
Don't worry; James didn't have his smile removed or affected by this surgery! It's still without defect!
No comments:
Post a Comment