Monday, March 15, 2010

I'll bet you didn't know...

I'll bet you didn't know; over 90% of all missionaries in the field are in areas that are deemed "already reached" or established.

I'll be you didn't know: the second largest unreached people group is Japan. (biggest obstacle = having plenty)

I'll bet you didn't know: China will be tithing a minimum of 10% of it's underground church to missions because they have no funds to give. The government would seize it and they'd be jailed. Those candidates who are eligible for service have to have served time in prison. They have a waiting list.

I'll bet you didn't know; There are over 50 restricted nations where Christian missionaries are not welcome. A great number of those are hostile.

I'll be you didn't know; The cost for building a church, training a pastor, and properly teaching the body about evangelism in Kenya would be at most $15,000. There are churches who spend more than that on new signs here.

I'll bet you didn't know; For a Muslim to renounce his/her religion and accept Christ as Savior means they have become an infidel and are to be alienated by the rest of their family, excluded from being mentioned in conversations, and destroyed along with all other infidels. (Praise God for the 24 lives in Guinea Bissau who probably new this when they made their decision)

I'll bet you didn't know; That to "serve Christ" is not merely for people like pastors, youth ministers, deacons, Sunday School teachers, missionaries, or other "professional christian service persons". You cannot state that you love Christ and then never DO anything (Lk. 4:8, 1 Pet. 4:10, Heb. 11:6)

I'll bet you didn't know; If you are growing deeper in your love for Christ and desire to serve Him, you will begin to get strange looks and responses from others. You will even get them from those in "church" who don't understand.

I'll bet you didn't know; There are Kenyans praying for you right now. That I can promise you.

I'll bet you didn't know; There is nothing hindering you from making a difference for the Kingdom today, but you.


Father,
Make us feel so uncomfortable when we see a need that we must act. Your Word does not say, though we wish it did; 'Faith without words is dead.' It says, 'Faith without works is dead.' (Heb.11:6) Compel us to act today. Someone might be forever changed because of a decision we make today.
You are worthy, therefore we live to give you all of ourselves.
Amen

6 comments:

Hall Family said...

I must admit $15,000--really? I would never had guessed it would cost so little. I am amazed!
Great Post!!

The Beaver Bunch said...

"With knowledge comes responsibility." Someone really cool told me that once.

And now, we consider ourselves responsible to do SOMETHING.

J Shore said...

To whom much is given, much is required.

waitingarms said...

Every time I walk into my garage full of boxes of stuff I am obviously not using - I am convicted about my life of excess. I am purposing to do better by my children – I don’t want to be responsible for raising self-centered brats who have an American sense of entitlement. I am starting small – trying to purge all the unnecessary things from my home and encouraging friends and family not to give gifts for my children’s birthdays. This last weekend, we celebrated 3 of my kids’ birthdays as well as my husband’s. I did not tell people that it was a birthday party- just invited them over for lunch. I asked people to honor the birthday peeps by helping a family who is fundraising for their fourth adoption. To show just how far we have gotten away from what Christ has called us to do and be -I am still getting calls hailing us as heros for our actions and very little is being asked about the family who is adopting! So it is totally acceptable to bring expensive toys and clothes for children who God knows have more than enough, than to help give an orphan a family and a home. And the majority of the 40 people who were there are Christians and who are faithful in their church attendance, attending fellowships and bible studies as well as any conferences and seminars in town. And maybe just 2 got it! And until a month ago, I most likely would have been among those not getting that this Christian “thing” is really not about me!

Blessings.

Matt Rollins said...

Good stuff, thanks for sharing it.

ali said...

great post... love it!