Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Follow-up (Living Room Conversation)

"Living Room Conversation evening at Rich Fork.  Feel free to share any other photos you might have taken that night.  We'd love to have them!

Wow!  What can we say about how awesome this past Sunday night was?  You all have, again, blessed us and left us speechless. As I stated, we will spend the next week giving you follow-up information about some of the things we spoke on and attach videos and songs.  

Today, I want to address a few more questions and give you responses to them.

QUESTIONS:

QDo you get frustrated that people view Africa as one large country and not 54 distinct individual countries? I know this annoys most of my African friends to no end that most Americans are pretty ignorant about the geography of Africa and just see it as either one huge jungle or a vast desert!

 A: It's amazing how little Americans really know about the world around them.  Part of it is educational lackings but a greater part of it is an apathetic world view or lack of one altogether.  

We can only blame educational shortcomings to an extent.  Information is out there and offered in so many viable arenas that we can no longer use the excuse, "I was never taught."  If a person has a passion to learn french, they'll find a way.  They'll exhaust all resources to achieve their desires.  The information has never been more accessible in fact!

The real root of the problem is that people just don't care about things that they view as outside their immediate life.  If it isn't something they "pass" during their day, it probably won't be important to them.  This results in a lack of a solid worldview.  Without a solid worldview, how can we even expect Americans to grasp (let alone desire to know) fundamental facts such as geographical layouts, social issues, historical contexts, etc..  

An even larger question to ask would be, "How do we get them to care?"  And if I had that answer, I may be somewhere else right now!

Q: If you were going to mentor someone going into ministry, what advice would you give? What advice would you give a teenager, knowing what you know now, about following their heart into missions?

A: First of all, we are not experts in this area either.  The counseling and advice we offer comes from 2 sources;  personal experience and Biblical insight.  The second of which is far more trustworthy.

Lindy and I were given some incredibly Godly advice about 2 years ago that we listened to and followed.  It so profoundly shaped and directed us that we never miss an opportunity to pass it along to anyone considering a large life-decision.  

One of our closest "mentoring couples" gave us advice that they, too, had learned from years of hearing God call and desiring to be obedient to Him.  She told us, "Whenever we have sensed God calling us into something, whether a new job, a new ministry, moving to another country, making a large purchase, or changing career paths, God has always confirmed His calling via 3 methods." (and she emphasized 'His calling') 

       1.  Personal Time w/ God - Through the Holy Spirit's prompting and moving as you DAILY spend time with God, He will give you a sense of peace as you pray and spend time with God on the issue.

2.  Godly advice - Seek out GROWING and OLDER Christians who will listen, pray for your concerns, and offer Godly advice back to you on the matter.  Don't just look for your usual "yes men".  

3.  Confirmation in God's Word - This, she stressed, was the most important element.  You may get a clear direction from the first two, but you should wait for God to show you or confirm unto you, through His word.  Lindy and I prayed and fasted while waiting for God to reveal His plan for us in missions.  When we did we asked God to give us His most assured Word for us to ground this decision on.  He did.

Whether you are young or old, a new Believer or seasoned; this same advice I would offer you.  It has, at its core, a dependence on God and not you.  You end up looking into all of the areas of your life and the circles of spiritual influence we are in for your answer.  Therefore, it's not based off you!  Sure, God may use and prompt your personal passions, gifts, longings, and dreams, but those are just as fallible as we are.  However, God's Word is neither fallible nor unclear.  

Q:  What skills do missionaries need to minister in Kenya? I know that Christian Religious Education is taught in primary and secondary schools in Kenya (unless of course it is at foreign schools where most foreigners send their children). Additionally, church attendance is pretty high (when I was there - it was about 90% of people who identify themselves as christians who faithfully attended church). I know that a lot of pastors in Kenya don't have sound theological training. So would missionaries with a strong theological background be beneficial? Does organizing mission trips comprised of Americans who normally have very little biblical knowledge have any impact? Or is this mainly for the benefit of the person who went on the mission trip to have the experience "change" them?

A:  I have saved this one for the last one today due to it's scope and possible reaction.  I will be careful as I answer, but I will also try and be honest.  Again, this is purely subjective answering from a positional stand of someone new in the mission field.  I know that our questioner lived in Kenya for several years and probably has more insight than I could ever offer.  Nonetheless, I'll share what God has discerned unto me on this.

Just because someone says they are "Christian" doesn't mean they understand it.  Every week I walk the streets engaging in conversations with people who will tell me, "I am a Christian."  But as we dig deeper and ask more questions, they have no clue "why" they are a Christian or what that means.  They say it because it's expected in their present-day culture (although another influence is creeping in at a dramatic pace.  But we'll have to leave that one for another time to talk about.).  When the British were there, they (along with the Scots and Irish) brought the Protestant Church with them.  Now, it's like a modern example of Pavlov's dogs.  You ask about God or who Christ is, and they immediately respond with, "Oh, I'm a Christian".  Yet their drunken countenance and treatment of women proves otherwise.  

So, let's be very clear on this first.  The enemy is still alive and strong in Africa and specifically in Kenya.  Our job is to come alongside and equip other Christian leaders to be more effective against the devil's schemes and reach those who don't even realize they are still in the darkness. 

Ok, now onto the heart of her question:

First: Skills.  The Bible does not lay out a set of "skills" or requirements for mission work.  In fact, the whole concept is implied more than prescribed.  The Bible gives mandates for ALL OF US to go and make disciples. (Matt. 28:19) But it also tells us in 2 Timothy 15 to, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of Truth."  We are told to "preserve sound judgement" and "in our hearts, set Christ apart as Lord.  Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks ...." (1 Peter 3:15)  

Though these aren't "skills" per-say, they are proper developments ALL Christian servants are SUPPOSED to develop in order to be more effective and useful.  This is a constant working but it's also something that can't wait until you go into missions/ministry.  

I would say, from now living there and seeing so many things, that ANY other education, training, skills, or advantages you can gain before coming will increase your effectiveness.  In case you haven't heard; Africa is not like America.  That may come as a shock to some people, but in so many "unthought of" ways it's true.  They eat different foods.  They speak different languages.  They have different histories.  They solve problems differently.  They look at life through a different set of eyes.  So, you may have to unplug from your formula of what you think it takes to be successful there.  Conflict resolution concepts written by an American will not translate to a Kenyan.  Expectations of sound bookkeeping and record keeping will end up frustrating you if you lay that on my Kenyan homies!  They can, and are willing, to learn.  In fact, their learning curve is MUCH greater than typical Americans!  

Most of the training and skills I would suggest, would be more beneficial for you, then them. Learning their language tells you much about their views on communication, but also family and social interaction.  You can learn so much about a people through their language.  Learning about how to bring Biblical application to the Masai may mean first learning how to serve the Masai.  And service isn't learned in a classroom.  

This leads me into addressing the last part of her question:  "Does organizing mission trips comprised of Americans who normally have very little biblical knowledge have any impact? Or is this mainly for the benefit of the person who went on the mission trip to have the experience "change" them?  

I have heard another missionary say that "American mission teams come in trying to be the hero of a 30 minute sit-com."  I don't think we realize it and I certainly don't think we ever intend to do it, yet it's translated that way to other people groups being ministered unto.  We come in, guns blazing, get people fired up, pour out all our energy in a 7-day trip, go home feeling excited and amazed at our time, promise to never forget (and come back), and never do anything more than tell our stories once a year, show our pictures, and send $20.  (Please hear what I am saying carefully) "This ain't a vacation".  Lindy and I aren't in Kenya because we want to be "heroes" or we are using this as an excuse to have an extended vacation.  Some days it sucks.  Some days, I would rather be still traveling the east coast for Brinkley Marketing Agency in the stable and known environment of the US.  And I know there are many days that Lindy feels the same.  But we are there because "it ain't about us."

What should happen?  Teams should make long-range plans BEFORE coming to conduct mission work in a needed area.  Churches, families, and organizations should "consider the cost of building a tower" before beginning. (Luke 14:28-30)  Build something meaningful.  Build something that will live on after you are gone.  Build something that the target group can USE long into the future.  This may mean ending multiple trips to various places around the world, in order to focus on one place, one people group, one project a time, for as long as it takes.  Several things will happen when you choose this approach:

1.  The people will SEE and TRUST your commitment to them.
2.  The work will produce results as you devote the needed time to preparations and training.
3.  Your church, CORPORATELY, will know everything you are doing as a church family and be able to tell others the details.  They will know how to pray about the work.  They will teach their kids.  They will participate as they see the work being done!
4.  You are following Biblical principles.  (Nehemiah)

So, yes, I believe that EVERYONE possess something that qualifies them for mission work:  the Holy Spirit and the gifts of service he imparts.  Evangelists can't do it all.  Who would teach?  Who would build?  Who would demonstrate mercy and compassion?  We just need to look at missions with a larger calender and willingness to be there as long as it takes.  This may mean many subsequent trips.  This may mean years of partnering with the peoples.  Whatever the case, we can change the perception by our persistence.  Return.  Often.  

*** If I were to recommend any book to read prior to participating in any foreign mission project it would be this one:  "Cross-Cultural Servanthood" by Duane Elmer.  Awesome book, great insight.  But balance it with your own in-depth Biblical study.  

We will post the videos, song, and song lyrics before Friday!  Stay tuned!!! (and continue to email or comment with your questions.  We love to answer them)

1 comment:

Janice said...

Thank you so much Team Thompson for the responses to my questions. These are things I always ponder but never have any answers to. Thank you for your servant hearts and for your Lord's work in my beloved "adopted" Country.