We want to continue to post "follow-ups" to the Living Room Conversation per my comments that night. At the end of the week, we'll post all the information, research, and music about the Street Boys of Kawangware. I recognize that so many of you found yourselves compelled by their stories. I will give you all the information I can we we talk about them later in the week.
Today I want to give you a few more pictures from that evening, answer some other questions, and give you some of Lindy's "Home Recipes" for making various household goods.
QUESTIONS:
Q: What do your plans look like right now for the Street Boys as you return?
A: As we stated Sunday night, we are still formulating a plan as we listen to God's leadership. This isn't as straight forward of a ministry as some of the others we are involved in. There are complexities and challenges that are hard to foresee. Realistically, I think we are going to go back, continue to feed them 2-3 times per week, continue bonding with them and earning their trust, pray with and for them, and share the love of Christ. This part should not be overlooked easily my friends. We tend to think more in terms of the bigger aspects of aid like clothes, school, and dwelling places. Those are very important, but they can not be more emphasized then addressing their spiritual needs. That's where their bondage lies.
Someone donated some money to purchase some clothes and shoes for the boys. I think we will try and get them each something within the first few weeks we are there. Also during this time, I have made some contacts with other ministries that I'll seek their advice and insight. I know of a place in Nairobi that targets addiction and rehabilitation that I am planning on visiting shortly after returning.
What we will strive to do is keep you all updated as this takes form. We'll let you know how to be involved and in what specific ways you can pray. It may take some time, but due to the number of teams coming and staying with us over the next few months, but we'll be working for these boys also. Please stay connected to us as much as possible. Pass the blog on to others who you think might be interested in this ministry.
Q: Is there somewhere that you and Lindy can go to get away or do something fun?
A: Actually, Yes! There is a movie theater in a mini mall and we have frequented it a few times. You know the funny thing about it is that when you walk in, you'd never know you were in Africa. It's modern, clean, and very similar to those in the States. We also go to a couple of local restaurants once-twice a month. I still enjoy dating my wife. We have a good time when we are able to slip away for an evening. There is also a wonderful view from our patio where we can sit and enjoy the evening under star light. Sometimes will put some wood in the ole chimenea and sit and talk for hours.
Lauren Craven, Linders, and Hannah Thompson sporting our adoption T-shirts. (which are for sale too!)
Friends and family filling up the house for a time of sharing at Rich Fork.
Chris doing what he does best; running his mouth!
Linder's Homemade Laundry Detergent
What you need:
1 bar soap (any kind you prefer; shaved finely)
laundry starch
5 gallon bucket
Pour 4 cups water in saucepan and put on high heat. Slowly add shaved bar of soap. Keep head just below boiling. Stir in soap. Water should be super soapy by now. Put 3 gallons of hot water into 5 gallon bucket. Mix soapy water and hot water then 1 cup laundry starch. Make sure you stir it REALLY well- otherwise it won't be the right consistency. Let it sit overnight. It will be nice and slimey in the morning and ready to use! It will be slimey. Don't worry, it's supposed to look that way. Stir it more if you need to the next day.
This will end up saving you a lot! The whole process shouldn't cost you more than 75¢.
What you need:
1 bar soap (any kind you prefer; shaved finely)
laundry starch
5 gallon bucket
Pour 4 cups water in saucepan and put on high heat. Slowly add shaved bar of soap. Keep head just below boiling. Stir in soap. Water should be super soapy by now. Put 3 gallons of hot water into 5 gallon bucket. Mix soapy water and hot water then 1 cup laundry starch. Make sure you stir it REALLY well- otherwise it won't be the right consistency. Let it sit overnight. It will be nice and slimey in the morning and ready to use! It will be slimey. Don't worry, it's supposed to look that way. Stir it more if you need to the next day.
This will end up saving you a lot! The whole process shouldn't cost you more than 75¢.
1 comment:
I would like to know what kinds of advice they give to help deal with those afflicted around here. Keep me updated guys.
Also, I'd love to know more random cost saving things before I go to college =]
Post a Comment