Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Plumbing Latest...


Let me preface this story with another one.  While the BHBC team (they just left Monday night ) was here do evangelism- we ran out of water... several times.  We kept having to tell the landlord to please pump more water into our tank.  We still weren't getting any water.  Come to find out- the pump (yes, it's electrical) was broken. So we told our plumber to see if he and Thomas could fix it.  They fixed it!  Landlord went to pump.... nothing.  So the next day- still no water.  Apparently the pump had lost it's prime.  The Culprit- No water in the well!!!  By this point our poor team hadn't had showers before they left for their safari and were on their way back. Just to let you know- it hasn't rained here  since the beginning of November!!!  Kenya needs rain terribly!  The team got back and they were feeling extra dirty and dusty- but what did we have to tell them.  NO SHOWERS!  They were all so great about it.  We really appreciated their flexibility and kindness through it all.  That night they got in a big truck came and filled up our tank and the well. YAY!!  WATER!!


Early yesterday (Monday) Chris and I awoke to a tapping on our door.  I jumped out of bed and answered the door.  It was Shauna,  She said "I have a leak."  The look on my face must have said "Can't this wait?"  Shauna then said "No, like a really big one... coming out fast."  We ran down stairs to her room to find it flooding.  The hose on the sinks hot water had completely busted and was shooting water all over the place.  Chris Handy-man Thompson sprung into action and plugged the whole with his finger.  Then I had to take over so he could go find some stuff to fix it.  We had to drain the solar hot water tank completely to get it to stop shooting water.  I have never felt so bad about so much wasted water.  Here we are in the midst of a huge drought and we have what some would call "clean water" all over the floor that we are soaking up in towels and wringing out in the shower drain.  Fortunately, I think everyone got showers the evening before.  

On the upside- They may have been dirty because of our water problem, but they didn't let that slow down their witnessing.  The BHBC team had a total of about 400 people (over 2 weeks) that came to know Christ between Kawangware and Kibera!  That means 400 people have to opportunity to receive bibles after completing their discipleship lessons.  Let's pray for these people to follow through with their lessons!

(Again, still no internet- so I usually write up my blogs on the computer then go somewhere to post them.  When I update on here- I also try to update our adoption blog as well.) 

2 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

Holy begebbers! That's some water issue. I'll pray it gets resolved quickly.

Joy said...

what is going on there, seriously. i can just see shauna saying, "umm..i have a leak. i mean a BIG leak." AND, thank goodness for chris' finger-whew.
you guys, mr. S. A. Tan must reeaallly be upset with all the children entering the Kingdom: thus, he's trying to distract you with water issues. little does he know you survive off LIVING water. love you