Sunday we had the opportunity to take a new convert with us from Kawangware Slums to Kibera's Berith Life Church.
There is a reason why we picked up our new friend to go from one slum to a church in another slum. Our friend's name is Muhammad and about 8 weeks ago he decided to deny himself and the Islamic faith he has known his whole life to take up his cross and follow Christ. Muhammad received Christ one day on the streets of Kawangware through Chris' persistent street ministry in the slums. Chris said honestly, he cannot remember him. But a few weeks later Muhammad saw Chris in the streets and came to him. He professed his new life in Christ and the decision he had made weeks back after hearing one of the presentations. He expressed to Chris the challenges of trying to sneak around because he feared what would happen if others found out about his conversion.
His brother came to him one day and inquired about him "acting differently". You see September is the month of Ramadon (actually it has something to do with the crescent moon- but for all intense purposes it's about the month of September) where Muslims fast sun up to sun down. His brother asked him why he hadn't been coming to the temple to pray or participating in any of their rituals. He simply told him "You have your faith and now I must have my own." I believe his brother was puzzled by that.
Fast Forward to Sunday: We met muhammad at a gas station to pick him up. He had this infectious smile when he came to get in the car. What an honor it was to meet someone who has given up so much to follow Christ. As he became more comfortable in the car and answered our "get to know you questions" he reached into his doubled plastic bag to pull something out. He pulled out a old bible someone let him borrow. My heart was in my throat. Chris assured him we would get him a bible. As soon as we got to Kibera Chris gave him his bible so he would no longer have to borrow. He was so tickled to have his very own bible.
As worship started we began the usual Kiswalhili worship songs. But they meant much more than they ever have before. We only know a few words here and there so I normally just do my best to pronounce what I can. It's more difficult to close your eyes and truly sing words from your heart when you don't know what you are singing. This time I just stood back and watched... I stood behind Muhammad, just surveying a transformed life in Christ-- truly worship. He new the meaning of the words being sung and it was so evident. I could see every facial expression and every move of his hands. He didn't know the songs by heart... in fact it was probably the first time he had ever heard them. I guarantee those words penetrated his heart more than anyone there.
On the way back to the gas station, Muhammad expressed his concerns about telling his family- wife, parents, and siblings. He felt as though people knew what was going on through other muslims in the area who knew him. You could tell that he was both nervous and scared. He leaves today to travel to tell his family of his new life.
None of us will ever know the sacrifice of converted Muslims. I encourage you right now to please take a moment to pray for our brothers and sisters who have converted from Islam to Chrstianity. Pray for them to be "bold and courageous". Pray for strength and endurance. Pray for God's hand of protection over Muhammad as he travels and as he reveals his news to his family. Let's bathe him in our prayers so the enemy will continue loosing ground!
"... Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
"In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted..." 2 Tim 3:12
4 comments:
Thank you for the reminder Lindy. I forget, so easily, how lucky we are to have freedom to worship our Lord.
First...
WOW! What a bold statement that Muhammad is making for our God. The least most families do is turn their backs on those who leave Islam for Christ--so we continue to pray for those brave men and women--its been my everyday prayer since reading Jesus Freaks years ago..
Second...
no apologies on the lack of comments...SERIOUSLY..you have way bigger things going on than commenting on my blogging silliness and I understand
LAST...
we are SO on for the 31st. Hopefully you'll be able to see Layla in her full "holiday" getup.
Hello.
Thank for sharing this story with me...
It helps me not lose hope in humanity... which seems really hard sometimes...
I really can't wait to sit down and talk to you about this.
You and Chris should give Angela and I a day or dinner when you come down =]
What a precious story Lindy! Its amazing how we have so many Bibles laying around our houses, and some people can't even come across one or have to borrow. Thanks for sharing!
And girl, go ahead and add me on. I am going to add yours. The more blogging friends the better!
Post a Comment