Alright Chasity. You opened a can of worms, girl. You get the award for best questions asked! Your reward: I'll send you a ciber oreo cookie for an ear. (You're welcome)
First off, I will start everyone with her questions. Answers follow:
How hard is it to sit and watch all that is around you and realize how well America has it?
Very hard at times. But we cannot dwell on what America has that third world countries do not. We all have one thing in common. We all need the same loving Savior.
I can remember coming back from my first mission trip when I was 19 and walking into our brand new wal-mart. I'm not sure how my mom put up with my attitude. I was literally draging my feet and grumbling about America. Hopefully I've come a long way from that girl. (I guess we'll see when we come home next month!)
I used to sit around feeling guilty for being born in America. But what does guilt do? I've learned a couple things:
1. Be grateful, not guilty. Guilt won't lead you to move.
2. What it means to embrace my ethnic and cultural identity as part of who God has created me to be. There are positive aspects about my culture that I need to claim.
Some people tell me I shouldn't minister outside the country because people in America are just as poor as those in Africa. Do you agree?
Simply put: NO WAY!
There are needy people in America and there are MANY that need ministering to, but America is NOT as poor as Africa. In America, even the homeless have somewhere they can go to get a meal or a bed for the night. Here in Africa where can they go if they haven't had a meal in days? Have you ever seen a child walking around in America that looks like this?
I sure haven't. Know why? Because you can walk into ANY ER in the US and no matter what your problem is- you can be treated. Whether you have money or not. You can even make up a problem to be seen as a patient and get a meal to eat! Not to mention we have the luxury of clean water. Access to medical help and clean water alone nullify the word "poor" and "America" being in the same sentence.
A friend of mine took 6 weeks off work to go to Darfur last year to provide medical relief to the oppressed people of Sudan. (I owe it to Ashley for my broken heart for the Sudanese. As she was the first to teach me of the heinous acts of an ancient civil war going on still) I can remember Ashley telling me what one co-worker said to her about her going to Darfur. As I recall she expressed how she didn't feel it was right for Ash to go to other parts of the world when there were people right here in the Appalacian Mountains who needed help. Guys, this person is a christian!! I can't think of a more unbiblical statement. "Righting wrongs and serving those in need is at the VERY HEART of Christ's ministry and, in fact, the heart of God. There is an outrageous misconception- that the idea that ministry to the poor is for the select few and not central to the call of every Christian. Not everyone is called to move into the inner city or give up the security of a corporate job, but EVERY Christian should get his/her hands dirty in the struggle in some form or fashion." (Jeff Killibrew- Desire street ministries, N.O)
If you are a follower of Christ who have yet to actively get involved in a local ministry which you have DIRECT contact with those in need; if you have never "smelled" and "tasted" real poverty, then you are missing a huge part of the experience of being a follower of Christ. Until you have come close enough to those who are truly suffering to hug them, speak words of encouragement to them, to touch them, you have not experiences all of what God offers His followers.
God wants you to start ministering in the very town you call home. But your involvement doesn't stop there. It is a blessing to step foot on foreign soil- to see, touch, smell, and taste what God is doing around the world. I want to encourage you all to go on a short term mission trip at some point. It will surely bless your socks off.
I have a high school teacher who is unable to "go" to foreign soil, but she might as well be here. Her heart is here- no doubt. She has been such a huge source of encouragement to us. To the point of giving what she doesn't have.
Keira told me about a line she had read in a John Piper book and I gotta tell you, I LOVE IT! He said you can do either of 3 things.
1. You go
2. You send
3. You're disobedient
Simple as that. It's part of the great commission and no one is omitted from that.
A lot of words to answer that question, but what can I say- missions is my heart and soul and I can say the same it true for Chris.

6 comments:
Wow dude, good post... you're getting to be a good writer too. Plus, I din't see won mizspeled werd in that hole thing. ('cept peeple useualy captilize Cristian)
Anyhow, well put... it doesn't matter whether I agree or not... but I do. What you have said is bare truth that many choose to "blot out" of the Bible.
Also, I hope to somehow get my socks blessed off today. Wouldn't it be weird if someone gave me great new socks to bless my socks off? That would be irony at it's best. I would just conveniently slide on the new ones and go about my day in happiness.
Gracious, you are speaking truth. I also struggle when people commend Luke and I for helping "our American kids" (thru fostering) but question other people who are answering the call to adopt internationally.
Seriously? Giving a kid a home is giving a kid a home, it doesn't matter what country they were born in.
Anyhoots, before I step right on up on my soapbox, I'll stop.
Love you, seriously.
You are so amazing Lindy. I love you and miss you more than you know! I hope you don't mind me sharing this with everyone I know haha :)
Thanks for telling it like it is. We don't always want to hear it as bluntly as that, but we still need to hear it. I feel so very blessed to be able to call you both friends. You both teach me so much! Thanks, Mama K
Lindy,
Girl I can say i def. agree with you. Your eyes will be opened if you just minister to those in need weither it be here in America or overseas. But I also agree that everyone should take some short term trip to a foreign country to see what it is truly like & to see how some so poor love God more than we express that we do. I enjoy reading what you have posted each week & thanks because it really shows people anyone can minister to those around them. Thanks for being so blunt about the difference because maybe certain people who said i should stay in America & help the poor instead of going to Africa maybe they will read this blog & realize the difference. Love ya girl hope to c u next month sometime.
Chasity
LINDER,
Hey you:) I haven't been on here in a few days! So we set a date! It is May 23rd...which is memorial day weekend. It will be at Fort Fisher...so mark it on the calendar. I love you and miss you. Hope to see you in a couple of weeks!
Post a Comment