How stupid of me to think that I was helping them. When really I have hurt them. I can't tell you how discouraging that was to me. I felt so broken and helpless. How naive! Do I really THINK that I understand these people or this culture. How dare I act like I understand the people of Kibera just because I've been there a few weeks. I mean how can I identify with this slum being from one of the richest countries in the world! I really have no clue. I grew nauseous. All I had thought about Friday- Monday was seeing those kids, playing with them, and making them smile. I've learned just how to make them smile. For Sylvia it's wrapping my arms around her and squeezing her so tight with a huge hug. She looks back at me with this massive smile that would melt even the coldest heart. For Paul- it's being held with his head on my chest, sucking the same fingers I used to suck. For Brian- it's holding him in my arms and jumping in the air saying "Rukaju" (jump). It's almost giggle...
I really had to do some serious reading on suffering and WHY these things are allowed to continue. I can get quite emotional about what the Sudanese/Darfurians are going through on a daily basis. At one point I had avoided the forbidden question long enough. I can remember the day i was in tears and finally belted out "Why God? You can do anything!"
Have you ever asked that question? Here's "WHY":
So what is the real condition of our world at large?
First, we must understand that the real condition of our world today is a continuation of what began when Eve "took some fruit and ate it" and then offered the fruit to Adam who seemed to be more than willing to partake himself (Gen 3:6). The condition of the world is the result of sin entering the world through Adam and Eve. The suffering we now see and the injustice that permeates our societies can't be blamed on anything other than the true culprit--SIN.
If sin is the true culprit, then every issue of poverty, injustice, and oppression has a spiritual element to it.
It's days like yesterday when, in tears, I've said "Lord, I just wanna go home. I can't do this. It's days like tomorrow when I'm so thankful God chose me to be here. Then it's days like the next (Thursdays- my favorite) when it makes going home in November hard because I'll miss their faces, smiles, and hugs so much.
My mom used to tell me in nursing school "Lindy, you do your part and God will do His." I believe that's the case in these little lives too. I'll just have to do what I can and leave the rest up to Him.
7 comments:
Wow sis, that's quite a humbling post to those of us reading on our Macs from our air conditioned homes. I agree though, I have to constantly recondition my heart because I become to comfortable in my way of life. As you wrote about our evil world, it reminded me of when we spoke about debating with skeptics about Christianity. I think the most common question is, "Why does God allow this?". Yet they will not accept the response, "Read about what God created in Genesis, then read the newspaper and see what we've done to it".
Lindy,
I agree with what your mom use to say to you. Your post reminds me of....
~~Salt and Light-Matthew 5:13-16~~
13 "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
14 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
Blessings-Hall Family
Oh how I grieve for these people. Such bondage. God will grow you in your knowledge of their culture so that He can use you more and more. Rest in His timing. Love you girl!
You are learning a hard lesson my friend. We can only help people if they allow us to help them. Those children are precious and we think to ourselves, "But I can do so much!" While that may be true, we can only do what we are given permission to do. We are fortunate, though, in that our God allows us to do everything through Him. Your desire is to "love on" the children. Pray (and we will pray with you) that God shows you a creative way to do that while the family remains protected. We can do all things through Him. The "locals" desire is that this mother stop abusing her children. Pray (and we will pray with you) that something about your visiting prompts her to turn from those terrible ways. He can do all things. I remind us (cause I need the reminder too) that God is in control and isn't surprised by anything that happens. I also believe that doesn't mean He isn't saddened by what He sees. Pray to Him, as we pray with you, and let's see what He does.
We love you both so much and think of you often!
I'm praying for you both.
I am praying for you. God WILL do His part through you. Just keep walking with Him. This was a great post and it changed my perspective. I work with poverty-stricken families in the US and catch myself being judgmental frequently. I cannot imagine how much worse it is there. God bless you!
Love the new look. Miss you all tons.
Post a Comment