(Telling stories of creation at the school with sleeping little Paul in tow.)
Anyway, I was used to kids coming up and wanting to shake my hand on the railroad. I usually ask them how they are in Kiswalhili b/c they know how to better respond. I can remember one day I saw a young boy (about 11) in a red tattered sweater with huge shoes on. He was really acting like he wanted to come up to me, but was very unsure of me. So I walked up to him and asked him how he was doing in Kiswalhili and he replied appropriately with one word. We went on our way to the school. When we got there I went on in to see the kids. I turned around and noticed that little boy in red from the railroad had followed us all the way to the school. He was standing outside shuffling his feet and looking down. I called this to one of the teachers attention and she began talking to him in Kiswalhili. I figured out she was telling him to go away. I asked her to please let him stay for the bible story and meal. After all, there was plenty to eat. So he came back in and sat in the back of the classroom. He was so excited, but you could tell there was something about him that wasn't like the other kids. No one could understand his name to know what to call him. During play time, he sat alone. I asked him to play, but he shook his head no. So, I did what I had to do. I grabbed his hand in mine and ran with him to meet with the other kids. He laughed the whole way. We played silly mzungu games i made up. After school I walked with him and tried to ask him some questions. I think he understood me, but I figured out that he has a speech problem. Within about a minute of walking he grabbed my hand and we walked hand in hand until we ran into a lady that said he needed to go to his home. Tafrosa asked the lady some questions about his home situation. We figured out that he was an orphan who lived with his aunt. He went home and I never even knew what his name was.
Fast forward a week or so to when Chris and I were taking our 22 month old friend for a little joy ride around Kibera in the "Gari". Chris stopped to talk to someone he knew. Next thing I knew there were some tiny black arms flying through my window at me. It was my little red sweatered friend! I wondered what he was doing so far from home. What were the chances that I would see him out of 1 million people in Kibera. Definitely a God thing. I tried to talk to him a little, mostly just wanting to make sure he knew how to get home. It was time to go and Chris had to take off. As we drove back toward the pastors home, my friend was running as fast as he could behind our car. He followed us all the way to the Pastor's house. Long story shorter- Meshek (a supported pastor/ son in law to Tafrosa and Indiazia) went to his home to find out a little more info about his home situation. Apparently, his name is Isaac Rabin and his parents have been dead for some time now. He lives with his aunt who is a seamstress and is gone from early morning to late night. When there isn't food in the house (which I heard is often), Isaac leaves very early to find some. I learned he is usually unsuccessful as he is shilling-less. We told Indiazia that if they will feed him, we will pay for it. He had the option of having the food brought to their home, or coming to Indiazia to have food and fellowship. He wanted to come to Indiazia's for the family type meal.
Friday- Chris, Thomas, and Noah all went to the new bible college and helped Indiazia and the group renovate it. It is in need of a lot of work, but looks so much better after Friday. Chris said he must have seen our car and recognized it. He came to the college and I they got the feeling he was hungry. As the guys took a break for lunch they told Isaac to "sit right there until we get back." 45 minutes later they returned with a meal. Chris said Issac had not moved a muscle. He had not and would not turn around or anything. He was so tickled about his lunch!
I looked out over Kibera and look at Isaac, Sylvia, Brian and Paul and think "And this is only two stories of so many..." A spiritual mentor recently said to me "Their [Sylvia, Paul, Brian's] story is just one of millions of children in Kibera, Kawangware, Calcutta- all over the world" To which I replied, but even if I only help one... it's still better than not having helped any." We had better start now because there are a lot of people and children who need to see our loving Savior. These people need to see us showing true biblical compassion [meaning: to suffer with.] Are we ready and willing to suffer with them?
Hopefully I'll have an update about Sylvia, Paul, and Brian this week. (I couldn't keep from putting all 3 of them on our blog header.) Please pray for this situation (I cannot possibly explain all the details of it- as there are so many.) It is such a heavy burden on my heart. I do not know what to do, where to go, nor how the "system" works around here. Pray that God would put someone in our path who knows Kenya's "system" better than we do. Pray that we do not do anything without His permission and guidance. Most of all pray for these hungry, mangled children and their mother. As I mentioned before we do not know her story. All I know is that they are from Uganda (which is another challenge with the "system" and the father left when she was pregnant with Paul. She really needs to be loved along with these children. Thank you for your prayers...
1 comment:
Oh Lindy, my heart just aches for those kids. Please, tell me what more I can do.
Post a Comment