Picture: Slum Children
Wow! Last time I posted things were hush hush because our family didn't even know about what God was doing to us! I'm not sure if this blog will hold all that we need to update you about. I promise my extreme delay of updates was not on purpose. As you can tell, I had to change our blog completely. I could not for the life of my figure out how to get back into my blog to update. Honestly, I don't even know how I did this today. The plan was just to wait until my best friend returned from Singapore to help me with it. I need to take blogging for dummies.
At any rate, I will start off with the purpose of our going to Kenya and the purpose of our January trip.
1. Visit the house with which we will be responsible for.
Guest House; Responsibilities:
a. Facilitate lodging for mission teams that will pass through or work from a base in Nairobi. (including meals)
b. Offer support to Nationals who serve in ministry roles (hospitality, transportation, labor) within the house.
c. Prepare travel arrangements for teams.
2. Receive hands-on orientation from Dr. Hal & Ruthan Burchel who are concluding their on-the-ground service.
3. Contact and build relationships with Nationals who are part of the established ministry efforts begun by the Burchels.
4. Participate in the ministry programs begun by the Burchel's (part of orientation and understanding of projects) Including:
a. Evangelism within slums - taking the story of Christ within the slum area
b. Bible College - Training and discipleship of men within the inner-areas of Nairobi. (Kawangware)
c. Children's ministry - Regular and routine programs for the children in slums. (Kibera and Kawangware)
5. Travel to South Horr w/ JL Williams to further investigate the process of establishing a orphanage through the Nationals in the Samburu District.
6. View various other ministry possibilities that God has placed in our hearts and minds.
a. Intern program (for orphans who aspire to attend college and lack the resources to do so)
b. Media ministry that connects local churches back in the states with the believers in Kenya. (offering insight and education into Nationals life in Kenya
and other update types of information to local bodies of believers who either desire to become more informed or more involved)
c. Develop and disciple a ministry team of students who may have a heart for reaching high schools, college campuses, neighborhoods, or
teaming up with groups from the U.S.A. (or other lands) coming into Africa for mission projects.
d. Conduct regular women's group meetings for women who desire and need discipleship also.
e. Exchange program for college-age students back in the states who sense a calling into the mission field and wish to explore the possibilities
of Africa.
f. Raising up a National child(s) in a Godly home within Kenya.
g. Exploration of other ministry possibilities that churches within the U.S.A., might desire a more direct involvement.
As most of you know there is terrible termoil in Kenya right now and it was questionable if we were going to be able to go. Some of our family and friends were very concerned about our safety and urged us to consider going at a later date. But I am so glad that we listened to the Spirit and did what He was leading our hearts to do. It just didn't make sense that this trip wouldn't work out. It was the ONLY time we could go with the Burchels to be oriented. I can't possibly sum up our trip in this blog, but I will try to give you highlights.
We are back with a much better understanding of the ministries and our responsibilites. Here are some things we each feel pretty sure about so far. (More to come)
CHRIS-
Teach 1 to 2 days at the Kawangware bible college.
Evangelize in Kawangware/Kibera 2-3 days a week.
LINDY-
Weekly teach bible lessons to orphans at Jamocha school
Upkeep, cooking, book keeping, scheduling, of the Guest House (don't worry I have great house help!)
TOGETHER-
Upkeep of guest house
Oversee feeding/clothing Siligi orphans in South Horr
We met so many wonderful people. It breaks my heart to see the fear they are living out daily. Please Pray for revival in Kenya.
No comments:
Post a Comment