Now most Americans would have no clue who this is. But ask any Kenyan, Sudanese, Ugandan... etc and they could tell you. This man is part of the cause of all the ruckus in Kenya. This is the opposition leader. Some would say "The man that should have won presidency of Kenya".
We were sitting at the Karen Blixin Plantation restaurant and in walks Raila Odinga. There were almost ALL white people there (most are Europeans there for business). Chris said "I think that is Odinga". He had already said he saw Kibaki in the airport so I was hesitant to even look. For some reason he's been on the prowl for a pesident. I told him that was not Raila Odinga and to sit down and finish eating. He kept on insisting that was him so I took his picture from far away then looked at the picture on my camera zoomed in. I said "By jingos, that is him!" So of course seeing him from a distance isn't enough, Chris wants a picture WITH him. He went over and asked the waitress to ask him. I was sweating and about to loose control of my bladder. He said "Yes" and so we handed our camera to the speaker of the house and he took the picture. I was so nervous I could barely smile. The smile in the picture is only because he smelled really good. I was just thinking what a powerful man he is. I wondered what religion he was affiliated with. I wondered if he was thinking about all the people dying in the riots over his chocolate milkshake. Later, as we sat in traffic due to president kibaki's entouage coming through in all their mercedes, I wondered if he was thinking about all the starving people a mile away in Kibera.
For those of you who do not know, I will try and explain a little bit of the situation. Please know that I will only tell you FACTS below. We are not taking sides what so ever. We will not and cannot get involved in Kenyan politics.
President of Kenya
Mwai Kibaki
Assumed office
December 30, 2002
Vice President Michael Wamalwa Kijana
Moody Awori
Kalonzo Musyoka
Preceded by Daniel arap Moi
Born November 15, 1931 (age 76)
Political party PNU
Religion Roman Catholic
Raila Odinga
Opposition leader of ODM
Claims to be Anglican
Cousin to Barak Obama
On December 30, 2007, the chairman of the Kenyan election commission controversially declared Raila's opponent, incumbent president Kibaki, the winner of the presidential election by a margin of about 230,000 votes. Raila has challenged the results, alleging fraud by the election commission, but they refused a recount. Independent international observers have since stated that the poll was marred by irregularities, especially at the final vote tallying stages. Many Kenyans across the country protested against the announced election results.
There have been many riots throughout the country of Kenya.
There is major conflict between a few tribes. 2 being Kikuyu (kibaki's tribe) and Luo (Odinga's tribe). There is another which we may make mention of later. People are being attacked and killed in their own homes. Homes, churches, and stores are being burned to the ground.
Our hearts breaks for the victims of all this. We will post some pictures of the damage we witnessed in Kibira later once we load it off our viedo camera. Please offer up prayers as often as you can for these wonderful people. There have been numerous times we have referred to the verse in Isaiah, "He gives beauty for ashes,". We are fully confident that God wants to do something amazing through this situation. Here is the time when your support of missions is most requested. Right now, stop. Ask God to do what only He can do. Right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment