Monday, March 12, 2012

The Beauty of it All...

Today Chris, Deo, Thomas, and Chingi took a cab to Machakos to look at a school for Chingi. It'll be an all day event. We'll know soon if Chris discerns it's the right school for him and if they will accept Chingi. For now, Chingi has been helping teach the little ones at the school. He gets paid kiti kidogo (a little something) for his work. Ez and I got to go see them all last week because Ezra finally got over his jet lag and has been taking proper naps and sleeping better at night. We will go back again this week or next with some cupcakes for them.

I'm loving being a stay-at-home mom and working on the guest house. It's a bit more overwhelming now since Ezra is a bit more active and Zipporah is in Culinary school and not able to help me as much, but I'm still enjoying it. We had a group come last week and basically stay for about 5 hours before they flew out to South Sudan. They will be back tomorrow morning, so I'm excited to hear what they have been up to up there.

The plan was to go to the grocery store to buy food for this team in between Ezra's 2 naps, only I got everything and everyone packed into the car and.... the car wouldn't start. Not really a huge surprise to us though. This is a weekly event we deal with. Actually just on Friday some friends asked to borrow our car so they could pick up their parents at the airport (Our car would fit their whole family). So we went to their house, visited then swapped cars. Later that night we got a call that our car wouldn't start. Come to think of it, maybe it's more often tahtn every week. Ha! See, and you thought I was exaggerating. Today though, I do believe the problem is the battery. I would have called a cab to come get Ezra and I, but by the time it got here, it would be time for another nap. (For Ezra, not me.) Oh well. Hope to go at some point today or else the team will be eating bread and water.

-The washing machine "fundi" (worker) will come this week, hopefully tomorrow, to tell us the prognosis of the washer.
-I dropped Chris' phone yesterday and shattered the screen. Yea- I bet you all wish you had a wife as awesome as me.
-I also ran over a thorn with the stroller and killed the tire.
BUT....The good news is- Mr. Carolina Gnome is doing much better. Doctors do not expect a full recovery though. The tip of his hat cannot be found.

On a more serious note, I'm trying to enjoy every moment left here in Kenya. I often find myself getting all nostalgic though- saying to myself things like "Oh I'm going to miss this weather, and that Old Masaai Mze's swagger as he walks down the road." Or "I'm going to miss the way people greet one another here." I'm really trying NOT to do that, but I can't seem to help myself. I just need to make sure I don't take a single thing or a single day for granted here in Kenya. It is so beautiful here and the people have become so dear to us. It's my goal to take Ezra walking every single day, to look at the beauty of our surroundings here. Even if the stroller is out of commission, I just strap him on and we take Wallace along with us. We go out gazing at the Ngong Hills, meeting and visiting with neighborhood children, and praying. Yesterday we thanked the Lord for bringing us here and asked him to see us through to wherever He sends us from here. To me, it's scary yet exciting all at the same time. I can remember feeling this EXACT same way before arriving here in Kenya. Our Great God has taken such wonderful care of us here. I'm sure that will be the case for the next place and the next after that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shirt Ezra has on. He must be very special to who ever gave it to him. We sure miss you guys and Kenya!!!!

cam lafleur said...

Give EZ a hug for me. Love you guys, your faith is inspiring, you're in my prayers.