Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Kibera...and a long lost friend


On Wednesday, Team Thompson went to Kibera to visit. Ezra finally got to meet Taphrosa. When NDI's team was here they blessed us with medications to give out. Taphrosa used to be a midwife so she's very knowledgeable about medications. With them having the preschool attached to their home, I knew she would put all of it to good use. I LOVE getting to be the one to give out such things like medications and food (through Feed My Starving Children and Feed the Hunger). I'm hoping to be able to get some medications to Sudan through friends Libby and Bryan Harrison. They leave this Friday to go back"home" to Sudan after being here longer than expected. (But I have selfishly enjoyed my Mama/Baby time with Libby and Annabelle.) Wish we could go and visit them one day!

We also took clothes, shoes and loads of stuff for the preschool. It was so nice for Ez and I to get out of the house and get to go into Kibera again.
It had been a while since I had been and Ezra had never been out of the car in Kibera. The preschool was on break so I didn't get to see the kids. On the way into Kibera I began silently praying that we would see Isaac. Remember Isaac?
On our way out I was still hoping to see him on the side of the road somewhere. Then Chris said "Well, look who it is." I looked up and there was Isaac smiling ear to ear. He came up to the window and we asked if he was going to school. He nodded proudly. "Where? With his once embarrassing stutter he confidently stammered "Thebini!" I sat there kicking myself because of all the days not to have brought a snack it had to be today! Then I remembered last week I had put 2 cliff bars in the baby's bag that the NDI team had left. THANK YOU LORD- I had SOMETHING to give this sweet boy! I'm just so thankful that he's in school instead of on his way to becoming a street boy. This TOTALLY made my day... no... my week!

Here is a picture of Mama and I with a few of the drugs:

2 comments:

Sally C said...

Oh, I remember Isaac! His picture hangs where I see it everyday, so that I remember to pray for him. I am so-o-o-o thankful for the report that he is in school. My Father is Isaac's provider!

Kara:) said...

I was totally just thinking about little Isaac the other day. I'll never forget his sweet smile when we went to his school. So glad you guys got to see him! :)