8:55-9:00 AM:
1. Give 74 high fives and greetings, while simultaneously preparing for the day's lessons.
2. Test every single dry erase marker at least once and keep the 2 that decide to work that morning.
3. Wrangle 3 spastic boys into their seats.
9:00-10:00 AM:
1. Teach math lessons to Brian and Patrick while Julius works on his comprehension assignment independently. James, Nicholas and Dan work on Math with Deo.
2. Say, "do you have a pencil, Patrick?" at least a dozen times.
3. Say "Julius, I think your work is on your paper, not on the ceiling!" at least twice.
4. Test all the markers again when the "good" two decide to die.
5. Avoid eye contact with James while he works with Pastor Deo to avoid a silly-faces-war during instruction.
10:00-10:05 AM:
Fastest football match known to man occurs just outside the school building.
10:05-11:00 AM:
1. It's Monday- Pastor Deo works on English with his 3 and I get my 3 ready to start on a composition.2. "Brian, I really need you to write about THIS topic- not football. No, not your favorite food, either. THIS topic. Yes, the one I just wrote on the board for you. No, not in Kiswahili. Do I look like I can read Kiswahili?"
3. Julius, your work is on your paper, not the ceiling!"
4. "Patrick, you already went to the bathroom. Please just write your composition."
4. "Patrick, you already went to the bathroom. Please just write your composition."
5. Accidentally catch James' eye as he does something like this:
11:00-11:05 AM: A second football match breaks out, and I'm somehow convinced to play. I'm not any good. Everyone wants me on their team anyway. I feel loved!
11:05-12:00 PM: Everyone settles in for science lessons.. Light and energy. Patrick wants to draw the glass of water so he can remember what the refraction of light is:
12:00-12:30 PM:
1. Break Time!! Everyone runs out to play football.
2. Break up a wrestling match.
3. The football's leather skin completely falls off. No one can play football. An impromptu hat show begins instead:
12:30-1:00 PM:
1. Lunch! Rice and potatoes. Starch, starch, and some more starch, please!
2. Break up a wrestling match. Again.
1:00-2:00 PM:
1. English with the oldest 3 while Deo does Kiswahili with the younger 3.
2. Feel extremely proud of 3 boys who have been working REALLY hard for me over the last month!
2:00- 2:05 PM: Another quick break. Take a moment to teach the boys about making good life choices.
2:05-3:00 PM:
1. Brian and Patrick do Comprehension work independently, I do math work with Julius. Fractions- tricky.
2. Julius successfully adds and subtracts mixed fractions!
3. "Julius, please stop using the white board markers to drum on the board. Now I need to find new ones that work.."
4. "Brian, are you finished? Okay, then I need you to work. No, I don't think you need to rest your eyes. Patrick, don't punch him- he's awake. Yes, I'm sure. His eyes are open!"
3:00-3:15 PM:
1. Laugh at Nicholas' impression of "Pregnant Lindy."
2. Take a picture with all the boys, because I want to remember every single second I spend with them.
Wed and Fri: Get up and do it all again, but hope that ALI is the one dropping me off!
3 comments:
GK- I know you think YOU are the one being blessed, but the looks on those faces tells me it's the other way around.
We miss you on this side of the ocean!
I know Jessica! GK is so blessed to have me drive her and impart my knowledge unto her. She'll thank me one day!
Couldn't be more proud and honored to have you here doing what you are doing for the sake of these Saints-in-the-making! (Compliment # 13)
~CT
You are amazing GK. I can't thank you enough for all you are pouring into these boys. You are making an eternal difference in their lives!
-LT and ET
Post a Comment