Dear Bride,
I am writing you this letter in public fashion as a declaration of my awe of you. When you said, "Yes" to my date request years ago, did you ever imagine that we'd be here? Did you dream of yourself living in another country with your family while serving Christ? Did you think then, that you'd be married to this guy? I'm so glad that I'm no longer simply infatuated with you. My feelings for you were so weak back then. True, they did lead me into a deeper relationship with you, but if my connection to you were simply based on "feelings", then we'd have a big mess on our hands! Mrs. Thompson, you bring me more honor and joy in being your husband than any office I have ever aspired to or ever would aspire to.
Tonight, our son will look you in the eyes for the first time. I don't want him to "see" me first. I want him to know the woman who honored her God, husband, and family enough to ache for your presence after years of silence. I want him to know the servant who sacrificed herself for him. I want him to know the mama who endured pain of his birth, endured the agony of 2 failed adoptions, endured the failures of her husband, endured the questions from others, endured the loneliness of years waiting on God. I want him to know this woman so that he will recognize what godliness looks like.
You will make our training up of our son so much easier. For I will have a model to say, "Son, just watch your mother...." The bright days ahead will make those hard ones of the past look so small, yet so worth it.
In the days leading up to our wedding, you told your mom, "I'm not as excited about my wedding as I am about my marriage." Lindy, in many ways I feel the same about our son and his arrival. How I look forward to growing our family with you.
Mr. Ezra Lewis Thompson, please allow me to introduce you to the brightest part of my walk on this earth. "Her husband also rises and praises her saying, 'Many daughters have done nobly but you excel them all'." (Proverbs 31:28-29) ... and she is your mother who loves you deeply.
Your husband and admirer,
~Thomas C. Thompson
Who can find a wife of noble character? ... (me)
5 comments:
Chris,
The best part about this post is that I know that deep within your soul, you mean every word.
And, they are all true.
beautiful
I am so glad that my friend and sister in Christ found someone as wonderful as you Chris. I remember hearing stories when Lindy came back from Caswell, and then you got married and I could see in her eyes how special she KNEW you were. I love you both so much and know that God has and will bless both of you and your precious baby boy.
Awesome Awesome...
Post a Comment