Lucy
Lucy is a friend of mine that works at my favorite shop in Kenya- Amani Ya Juu. It's swahili for "higher peace". Some of you may recall me blogging about it before. It is a sewing-marketing-training project for marginalized women in Africa. They have sister stores in Rwanda and Burundi as well. One of the first times I ever went there, I went for their morning devotions. Afterward I walked over to a lady that I knew was Sudanese. All I could do was tell her that I have a love and passion for her people and country. I told her I was sorry for the genocide that they have had to endure. I then we just cried together. That was it. We shared a moment and connected instantly. I don't see Lucy much when I go, because she is so busy. She is one of the 3 women who helped start Amani Ya Juu with the help of a women named Becky. I keep up with a few of the woman I don't get to see through our friend Ali. If I haven't mentioned Ali before, then forgive me! Ali is a designer from Michigan that moved in with us in January to commit to a year of volunteer work with Amani. A few days ago Ali came home and told me that Lucy's husband has been traveling back and forth from Sudan working as a reporter. She was told he had reported some controversial truths about things going on there. Now, Lucy's husband is missing. He has been for nearly 3 weeks now. Lucy is devastated to say the least. She has 3 children one of whom came in Friday from school- she was planning on telling her that he father is missing.
David
David is the day guard for the main gate to our neighborhood. I have never seen him without a genuine smile on his face. We certainly have such a great respect for him. We have witnessed him do things for others that he did without knowing anyone was watching. Last week we noticed someone had taken David's day position. Thomas noticed as well and inquired about David's absence. We found out that David's wife was pregnant with their 3rd child and due around the same time as us. Last week she developed high blood pressure and went into the hospital. David went to visit her after work on her 5th day in the hospital and she was not in her room. The staff informed him that she and the baby died. We are COMPLETELY devastated for them, as this hits very close to home for us. We plan on making meals for he and the children this week as well as taking them some essential cooking items and sharing some of the Manna packs we deliver when the next container arrives.
Please join with us as we lift up these 2 suffering families.
1 comment:
I will be praying tonight. There are no words for such trials.
Post a Comment