Do you remember riding back from the movies late one evening and this couple disclosed that God was beginning to stir them to missions?
Do you remember when they'd sit in your living rooms, kitchen tables, cars, and tell you the unfathomable way in which a sovereign God had orchestrated their story so as to leave no doubt about His purposes for them?
Do you remember them traveling to Kenya during the most violent period in Kenya's recent past against the "better judgement" of others?
Do you remember them thanking you for the service you gave them in helping them sell their stuff, move out, pack their things, conduct fund raisers, pray with them, pray for them, encourage them, counsel them, and shed tears because of the depth of your love for them?
Do you remember those first few emails and blog posts about life in this new world called 'Kenya'?
Do you remember their eagerness mixed with nervousness about walking through the streets to share Christ with the lost?
Do you remember their anxiousness to "fit in" and understand the culture?
Do you remember them being attacked by satan through robberies, serious sickness, car violence, despondency, loneliness, homesickness, betrayal, and just plain self-doubt?
Do you remember the emails you sent offering encouragement, love, support, prayers, and everything in between?
Do you remember the way you told others about their needs and the work God was doing as a way of helping them though miles away?
Do you remember 'Sharing in the Growth' as you prayed for over 2,122 new believers who had made a conscious decision to follow Christ?
Do you remember commenting on pictures of life in the slums; how powerful those images and stories impacted your heart and stirred something inside you?
Do you remember when your children starting praying for these same friends; prayers from a simple child-like faith that you instilled in them?
Do you remember when they first returned after 6 months with stories of triumph and stories of disappointment?
Do you remember crying with them as they struggled being away from you, their family, whom they love so very much?
Do you remember them returning to Kenya and recognizing specific passions that God had placed in them for ministry?
Do you remember when you first saw that picture of man sitting on top of the Ngong Hills with his shoes off in deep focused prayer?
Do you remember when you first heard "We believe in building strong relationships in order to grow healthy disciples"?
Do you remember when you first read about a visit to some boys who lived on the streets?
Do you remember when you read, "... so I had this idea,'what about chickens'?"?
Do you remember when you first fell in love with Kiangoi Rahman Onsomu (Thomas)?
Do you remember the first trip you made to Kenya? How you fell in love with the people. How you fell in love with this place?
Do you remember Women's Conferences, Teaching Seminars, and Youth Camps at Hope Center where nearly 2,500 kids came pouring in with unparalleled excitement?
Do you remember spending 2 months living with this couple who didn't have it all figured out, but they were willing to open up their hearts to you to come, stay, grow, learn, give, serve, and listen to God while living with them?
Do you remember hearing about 2 failed adoptions and years of barrenness?
Do you remember that day that it all changed??? (18 weeks now!)
Do you remember when their humanity got the best of them and they listened to their frustrations while writing about lack of funds coming in?
Do you remember when they responded shortly after that God is never absent in our time of need?
Do you recall how many times they have said, "We love you so much and are here because of you"? (Do you believe them?)
Do you remember watching God grow a ministry and a family into something more than their original ideas and beyond what they thought they might be doing?
Do you remember them saying, "we'll see you later" because good-bye was not an option in their vocabulary?
Do you remember that all of this is about Him?
Do you remember when you first became connected to this ministry, this team, this couple?
Do you remember the day you also became "Only a Servant"?
Because I sure do. I haven't forgotten any of it. It's still just as fresh and real as the day each of these things took place. And we wouldn't trade any of it! The challenges have not been greater than the rewards. Being away from you all has only been made easier by seeing the faithfulness of our King.
And when we reunite with you all through email, skype, or in person, we can't wait to put more pages in the book. He gets the glory and we get the growth.
... And it's been worth every second!
(what else do you remember? please, please, please, please, please comment and share them with us.)
9 comments:
Oh yes, I remember! I remember being homesick for your spot on the globe. I remember reading your blogs and weeping - with sadness, with joy, with hope. I remember sharing your world with such intensity. I remember SO many experiences with my sweet, dear, Chris and Lindy.
i don't know you, but i have followed your blog for a few months now. as it turns out a team of people from my hometown are on their way to you. i ate dinner with frank and dottie wednesday night because my husband was speaking at their church. my dear friends mark and teresa will join the shealys with you soon. i am praying. and i love reading the blog. and i love the ministry with the boys.
I remember sitting in our basement and you both talking to us about Moses. And I cried, realizing that our own bush was burning right before us.
I remember God using you both to teach us one more thing about obedience to Him, and the blessings that come along with living within the will of God.
I remember God knitting my heart with Lindy's, even across oceans and countries and miles.
I remember Brian & Paul and how Lindy loved on those babies with fierceness that made my mother's heart ache for her empty womb.
I remember my man, jumping up and down behind me and hot tears stinging my eyes as you told us about Tiny Thompson.
GOD IS SO FREAKIN' GOOD!!!!! I just cannot wait for the next chapter of our lives!
yes, yes and yes.
i remember packing up each piece of your wedding china with you, with purpose and not regret, because you trusted in His call
I remember reading the verses in 1 Corinthians, and thanking the Lord for your humble hearts after His
I remember seeing your prayer card for the first time
I remember the plane making an emergency stop because the 'crapper was full'
i remember the Bible studies in the office with Dara the Explara
i remember evenings on the balcony
i remember the way it feels to know that you've been prayed for by a husband and wife halfway across the ocean
i remember hearing the words "i'm pregnant"
i remember re-learning how to drive stick in the sazuki
i remember the 'beat buttons' on that keyboard while chris was working on something
i remember reading "nothing is impossible with God" in Luke, and seeing the faces of Chris and Lindy Thompson
love you more than coffee and biscuits and ice cream
I remember a drive in the mountains, you in the passenger seat on a beautiful starry night and my question "so,when will you be leaving"? You were speechless, having not told any of us of God's plans for Africa. God had prepared my heart years ago that this special daughter of "mine" would be called to missions "one day". My, it came so quickly! When you and Matt were born, my prayers were that he would use you for His glory and I knew that I couldn't offer you two and then tell Him what He could and could not do. You have made us dream bigger dreams and trust God at a depth I never knew was possible. As our other "son" came into the family we knew . . . on day. Thanks for teaching us that it truly is ALL about Him.
Ma
I remember the first time I met you guys at Rich Fork, and I thought to myself.. who ARE these people and WHY are they so happy all the stinkin' time?
I remember when I was baptized and I could see you guys in the audience being excited with me.
I remember when Paige and I started hanging out at your house and Lindy and Paige always ended up napping while CT and I chatted.
I remember the night you told Paige and I you were moving to Africa... and how you gave me a couple days to get excited for you :)
I remember all the dozens of emails, staying in touch and growing closer to you guys even while you were thousands of miles away.
I remember all the things I learned while serving with you guys for 2 months last summer.
I remember being super excited about doing it all over again!
Love you people!
I remember our team celebrating your first anniversary in Kenya with you. I remember the awe and humility that came when watching women, who had walked long distances with babies strapped to their backs, come walking into the Shalom compound to hear the gospel. I remember losing my heart to a group of boys in Kawangware.Like Sally, I am homesick for your spot on the globe. That would not be, if it had not been for your obedience. Thank you! This June, I will be celebrating with you in spirit as you welcome Tiny Thompson.
I remember finding your blog and thinking just how refreshing it was to "meet" missionaries who had such respect for the people they served and did not have the patronizing malady that seems to befall good men and women of God who go on the mission field. I remember praying for your adoption attempts and getting so frustrated for you for all the delays and the utter joy when you announced that you were expecting. I remember the gatorade sitting in my house (it did not make it to Kenya, but hopefully we can rectify that craving in March when you are stateside) that is a reminder to me of a wonderfully obedient couple who I have never met. God's best to you Lindy and Chris and little Thompson. Praying for encouragement for Chris - total obedience and a life of service does not come without a cost (unfortunately our fellow co-laborers don't always get read the memo)!
i'm a little late, but...
i remember emailing chris about 3 times a day back when i was in middle school. i remember getting really close to you guys. then, i remember when you told the youth about you guys leaving. i remember when you went to kenya for a couple weeks for a "test run" and, honestly, i selfishly prayed it wasn't his will because i wanted you guys to stay in america. then i remember my heart being changed. i also remember the sunday before you left and i gave you each 8176817 hugs (at least). i remember hearing about everything taking place and my heart began to stir and ache for kenya. then i remember going to kenya and falling in love. i remember the love you guys have for each other and what an example that is to a young, single girl (that would be me). i remember a lot apparently, but most of all i remember how you guys have taught me SO much; especially about obedience and compassion.
LOVE YOU GUYS
Post a Comment