Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Our trip to Tanzania... in a nutshell

SO.... about our trip to Tanzania. I'm only like a week and a half late posting this. Becky beat me blogging about it. But I beat her with the pictures. Let's just say being a little less rural helps us in that department.

We were SO excited to finally get to lay our eyes on the ministry our friends, the Helsby's, are part of. Mavuno Village- 250 acres beautiful Lake Victoria front property.

The concept of Mavuno Village started as an attempt to help the growing number of children who have been orphaned by the AIDS pandemic. Mavuno Village's mission is to build a Christian, family-style village, supported in part by farming, which will teach the biblical values of family as well as equip the children with skills for their future. (If you have 18 minutes, watch "Planting Seeds of Hope" at the bottom of the Home page. If you only have 4 minutes, watch "Mavuno overview". This will give you a wonderful idea of what we got to see, the people we met, and what the Helsbys are a part of.)

Before we left, I just kept praying that God would use us as much as possible in whatever way possible while we were there for 10 days. What did we do? Well, we sewed curtains (more me than CT), waxed floors, moved a few heavy objects, washed dishes, played some games, and aided in minor construction-like projects. Oh and did I mention we got to play with some awesome kids?? SO MUCH FUN! We had a great time. And what a blessing it was to finally move our friends into their first real home of their own in Tanzania. The Helsby's have been missionary nomads for the past 4 years moving 11 times. Hannah, 13 and the oldest of the six, has her own bedroom for the first time in her life! She was so tickled. It just made my heart so happy getting to watch all of this take place.
We did work during the day, but they are such suckers for having fun too. So of course we played games at night and CT and I got to go on a little night time safari. We always learn so many nuggets of knowledge when we hang out with them.

What we learned:

1. We learned how to go chameleon spotlighting
2. I learned so much about making cheese, butter, milk, creams, yogurt etc out of fresh cow milk
3.How to graft an avocado tree
4.That catching snakes with a dish towel is perfectly acceptable
5.That you can't actually swim or touch the water in lake victoria b/c of Bilharzia
6.What wildebeest tastes like (DELICIOUS!!)
7.How to tenderize it and other meats with unripe papaya
8.How to cook in a solar oven
9.That a stink bug can really shoot his stank
10.There are only 7 species of fish for consumption due to the introduction of Perch to Lake Victoria, over-fishing, and corrupt lake governance. (at one time there were over 250)

...And how much we love the Helsbys!



Bible club!


Now THAT is a big dog. The Dad to our new security dog.


Wednesday mornings the kids come to the Helsby House for singing/ worship time.
Jake- Just thinkin'
Dinner on the shores of Lake Victoria
Lake Victoria
Jake and Carter


Story time with Uncle Chris. What a lap full!

Jake reading a bible story to Kate.
Meg was such a crack up walking around the house with her head covered! It looks like CT is witnessing to her with his bible in his lap.
The Helsby's finally in their OWN house after more than 4 years of being missionary nomads!

Check out those eyes...

I can never brag enough on the Helsbys. We just adore that family. They scream purity in a way we've never seen. Their walk is so parallel to the way they live and speak. Their kids have such a love for the Lord and we have learned so much about parenting from them. We feel blessed to be their friends and are SO thankful we finally got to see Mavuno first hand.

3 comments:

Sara said...

LOVE the pics. So glad you were able to live the dream and serve with your buddies.

graig and sara said...

ct does have beautiful eyes!

The Beaver Bunch said...

I am trying SO HARD not to be jealous.

I won't be jealous, I won't be jealous, I WON'T be jealous.

Instead, I'll be blessed by the fact that you got to spend some time w/ some great friends, work along side them and serve them.

Oh how I miss you guys!