Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fertile soil...

I just have to blog about this right now, while it's fresh and I'm still on a high from it.

2 weeks ago some dear friends came to spend 2, 3, and 4 weeks with us. We have been everywhere and done everything with them it feels like. They are Sally and Glenn Clark who are part of our OSM Accountability Board members. It's so much like having my parents here. They are about the same ages as them and they just love on us and spoil us like parents do. With them they brought a 22 yr old from their church who is now on her 2nd trip here.

Today we drove to Kasarani which is about an hour and 15 minute drive. This is where our partner Vitalis lives and pastors a church. I cannot truly express in words what a blessing this man is to our ministry. He has the most beautiful zeal for the Lord and the lost. As soon as we got there his wife served us Chai and mandazi's (think- unglazed doughnut). Then we went to share at a school of 500 children. Brooke, Sally and I did a little song and dance for them which they all enjoyed. Then Glenn and Chris shared. Of course the kids were so excited and so precious. After that we went off in different directions to do evangelism. CT and Glenn went with 2 elders from Vitalis' church. Brooke and I went with Vitalis and Christine who is a member of the church. We walked on a path that Rich had evangelized before. I was shocked that Vitalis knew who was "new" on that street and which ones he and Rich had already talked to. We spoke with and shared our testimonies to several different groups. With Vitalis accompanying us, it was okay to talk with other men. Some were already believers, some were not and "needed more time to think". Some prayed to receive Christ as their personal savior. 3 as a matter or fact! Mildred, Paul, and Bernard. While we were walking, a woman about 55-60 came up to me and asked what we were doing. I told her that we were so excited about what Jesus has done in our lives that we can't keep it to ourselves so we are telling others. She completely opened up to us. Weeping she admitted she was an alcoholic and has been to so many rehabs. Her Father used to pay for her to go to rehab, but is not alive any longer. I knew she had a problem with alcohol because I could smell it on her. But Christine spoke up and boldly declared "But there is one rehab you haven't tried. That is Jesus." She did not pray to receive Christ because I believe she needed to be a bit more cognizant of her decision, but when I prayed over her I FELT the Holy Spirit with us. I felt like I had more FAITH at that moment that she COULD BE healed. She really was a precious lady and I was so grateful that she felt comfortable to share with us and that I was able to grow my faith. We spoke with her about follow up.

There was another young girl whom I shared my testimony with and we found that we had a few things in common. I shared how I overcame my circumstances and struggles with the help of Christ and she opened up and shared about how she, too, was struggling with alcoholism. She seemed to be living a fairly normal life hiding it from the world. She prayed to receive Christ and we talked more about follow up, accountability, and discipleship.

Bernard, the other young man who accepted Christ also was struggling with an addiction. I think there was a bit of a theme today. I praise the Lord that he blessed us with this kingdom adventure today.

Chris and Glenn didn't have ground that was quite as fertile. They went to a very difficult area and had a harder time with the people. But we rejoice in the seeds planted today and for the one who understood and came to Christ.

Today was just such a blessing. We were so blessed to see Vitalis and his family along with his elders who were so biblically sound! That is always so encouraging to us.

Thank you Lord for the sacrifices our Kenyan partners make on a daily basis and Thank you for their zeal for you.

No comments: