Monday, August 2, 2010

A Brighter Light

Wednesday - August 4, 2010 will be a history making day in Kenya. On this day, Kenyans will finally vote on the much-anticipated and long-overdue proposed constitution. This has been talked about through 2 presidential campaigns and promised to be eminent for over 10 years!

I do not intend to offer my opinion either way with this post, nor do I wish to persuade decisions. I recognize that I am a guest in this country, yet I feel compelled to share this, my first political undertaking, due to the significance of Kenya's recent past. As many of you already know, it wasn't that long ago that Kenya suffered during a post-election explosion of anger and controversy. Over 1,000 Kenyans died in riots, fires, attacks, and violence as the results from the 2007 presidential election took a shocking and unexpected turn. As tribal lines were drawn, some Kenyans forgot that they were Kenyans first and chose their tribal bent. Those who were sure of eminent success for their side, were enraged at what they perceived to be false results for the other side.

I was here during the fallout of that experience. The whole world watched Kenya burn. News channels repeatedly showed fires burning, looting, and emotions unchecked. In fact, the world put Kenya back amongst all the other countries of the world who demonstrated behavior like that. Kenya wasn't supposed to be that way. Kenya was slowly becoming known as "The Light of East Africa". But in a moment, the light went out... and darkness took over.

Now Kenya has an opportunity to demonstrate a brighter light than before. Kenya, regardless of the outcome of the referendum vote on the proposed constitution, can show all the rest of Africa and the watching world, that it IS a place of hope. Kenya can shine with a democratic light which would be unparalleled among it's neighbors.

I want this for Kenya. I want this for what it will do within the psyche of it's proud citizens. However, I want them to want it for themselves first!

Therefore I am asking you, reader, to pray for Kenya. I have 3 very specific ways that I am asking everyone to pray for this special place:

1. Pray that the enemy finds no hearts in Kenya to enter and spread his lies of hate.
2. Pray for a peaceful voting day.
3. Pray for unity to be evident as the results are disclosed on Friday - August 6th.

There is a proverb in Kenya which say's, "A fully grown tree cannot be bent into a walking stick." May the pain of the past be buried; it is no longer needed as a crutch for the healed.

Their future can be brighter and longer than their past. I love Kenya very much.

you can follow the news about the referendum vote and it's outcome at: http://www.nation.co.ke/

3 comments:

...Of All Nations said...

Just wanted to pause and say I love me some Chris and Lindy! Miss you guys big...Linds and I are praying for you and the ministry.

Chris, got a verse just for you; Proverbs 21:9

-Neil

Only Servants Ministries said...

"Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife." What's that supposed to mean? Have our marital battles reached the news in the US? She only hit me once... ok, twice.

Sarah and Rusty said...

Glad we read this post because we forgot when elections were. We'll be checking for the outcome on Friday and be in prayer in the meantime. You're definitely in our thoughts!