Saturday, July 31, 2010

A must read...

You must read this. It's our friend the Helsby's who are missionaries in Tanzania. This is her most recent blog. I cried, then laughed... real hard. I've been here 2 years and had no idea about funerals here.
I confirmed this with Zippy. She and I had a long talk about weddings and funerals at our "Livingstone staff meeting"... okay so it was just an excuse to take my friend and treat her to coffee, but it made her feel professional!

4 comments:

gk said...

LINDY THOMPSON. YOU LEAVE MY BLOG ALONE!

Maybe if I hadn't been so busy being your slave, feeding you grapes, fanning you in the daytime sun, and updating YOUR blog, I would've had time to update my own!

so HAH.

ill update soon.

Sarah Knight said...

That was a great blog post-- the funerals over there sound crazy! I couldn't imagine that happening in the states, imagine a funeral service and someone yelling at the person in the coffin as a joke. I'm sitting here laughing just thinking about it!

Matt Rollins said...

Wows.... That's....wild. I'd almost like to play my own joke and BE the dead guy just once. When somebody starts talking to me, jump out of the casket and start yelling in response, chasing the accuser. It'd be like "Thriller", but funnier... and with at least one white dude.

Becky said...

Linds,
you are a crackup. here I came to your blog to read your stuff and I see my stuff, but yes, the funeral bit was funny, and continues to crack me up, and I've lived here almost five years! Check out the other thing--if someone in the family hasn't visited the sick person before they die, the family will publicly SPANK them. It doesn't matter if they are 7 or 70. It happened at our staff member's family funeral recently. Auntie had to give the spankin. I was dumbfounded, right before I died laughing. :) Get down here!