Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Day at the Farm (gk)

On Saturday afternoon, Lindy, Thomas and I had the opportunity to visit a local farm! The owner is a man named Haron... also known as the professional chicken slaughterer. The guy can kill like 400 chickens in 2 hours.. I seriously envy his skills.

But that's beside the point.

We went and visited Haron in Ngong Town because Lindy and CT are going to start getting fresh milk delivered to the house from him! Milk from the store is super expensive, so Lindy is especially excited about getting it fresh and cheap from Haron!

So, off to Haron's farm we went! We had to park at the top of something that resembled Mt. Kilimanjaro, and walk down to his gate. Lindy almost fell down the hill to her death. Good news though- she lived.So, of course Haron's little farm had cows. Three of which were pregnant! They were massive.. And very friendly.

There was one cow named Faith, and she and I developed a really tight bond. She even sneezed on me. That's love...
There was a little calf there, too. Haron said the poor little thing didn't even have a name yet! Lindy told him about my awesome animal naming skills, and so he told me I could name her!
The calf is now named Grace.
They had other animals, too. Some sheep, and a rabbit, and puppies.. and also these little baby goats who quickly became favorites of Lindy and Thomas...

Thomas knows more than me about.. well, practically everything. But that's why I like to spend time with him- he always teaches me something new. And he lets me ask a million bazillion questions. At the farm, he took a moment to teach me about digging wells. This one was 150 feet deep. Luckily, no one fell in today.


Like I said earlier, Haron also keeps chickens and helps us slaughter ours. BUT.. he also had chickens like THESE...
In case you didn't know, that's massive. That chicken is about a year old, and Haron said he's going to slaughter it for Christmas... That chicken put ALL of our adult chickens to shame.

We had a good time with Haron. His family is pretty cute, too...

And just as a side note... We went up to the Ngong Hills after we left the farm.
THIS... is how I will always remember Kenya.

3 comments:

Gaylin Stewart said...

Breathtaking picture. I have enjoyed your insights Grace!

The Beaver Bunch said...

#1. Can I PRETTY PLEASE get the pic of you and the sneezing/smooching cow in an 8 x 10? Thanks.

#2. Please don't come home and give me mad cow disease.

#3. I'm not AT ALL surprised that Lindy loved the baby goats. Afterall, she loves my kids and they are like a small herd of billy goats.

Sarah Knight said...

Oh Grace-- I could hear your voice as I was reading your post;) The farm sounds like fun! I bet those little goats were adorable!