So for the many I could never fully thank or ever pay for who they are; please take my gift of words:
Lindy & Beth (the better looking two)
Matthew & Beth Rollins check our mail, deposit money, write us encouragement emails, deliver packages, pray for us, share our stories, and love us with every minute of their day. They miss us when we can't be with them to celebrate life's victories and grieve with us when life deals a different card. They are the kind of friends everyone searches for, yet few ever find. Serving us is something I think they enjoy. They are never thanked. They are never acknowledged when things are taken care of that make this ministry appear seamless. We owe them so much and can only seem to pay them with our longing hearts. Most people find it unique that they remain close to their in-laws, but we couldn't imagine better friends.
Apryle, Felix, & Miss Emma at my home on the coast of NC
Felix & Apryle Negron are our other relatives who do something so special for us that it has allowed us to be here without worry. Since we haven't been blessed with children of our own, we found ourselves "practicing" on our pseudo-child: Mr. Lex Luther. Lex is a very special boy. He's quite intelligent, yet extremely hairy. I know, that sounds odd. But our dog is noted for both. Apryle and Felix have cared for our "Little Brother" for several months without asking for anything in return. We found ourselves struggling with what to do with Mr. Luther before coming to Kenya. It really was a big issue. As we spoke with them, they were so honored to be asked to keep him. I found myself extremely humbled that they would take such joy in doing something so burdensome as that. Friends; that is service. That is love. They are my friends... who happen to be my family!
Eddie Brinkley taught me more about discernment and integrity than any person in my recent life. I was privileged to work for Brinkley Marketing for several years. I must confess though - I was not the best salesman. Yet, Eddie was patient. He would never admit it to you, but he was as important a shaper of my life as my own father (whom I hold in the highest esteem). The echos of his voice still reverberate 8,000 miles away. When Godly men live Godly lives, even the little moments of life reflect with great profundity.

Kevin Kassakatis (on right) while serving this summer in Romania
It takes a special 20 year old to impact me. Mr. Kevin Kassakatis is such a young man. If I was the kind of young man at his age that he is now, I've no doubt I would have become a much more mature and God-fearing person. If you don't know Mr. Kassakatis, I feel quite sad for you. He and his family have taught me so much about family love and support. He has taught me so much and I don't know that he even realizes it. When you work with young people and pour into their lives, it gives you a joy that can't be described as you see them living out their faith with passion. Kevin is no longer one of my students, he's my friend. And I want to be just like him when I grown up.
Mema with Emma during Christmas
Mema. Yeah, that's right, I wrote "Mema"! My grandmother, Patricia Thompson will always be the person who's name provokes a heart-stirring response. She has demonstrated the kind of faith and lifestyle that put service ahead of self. Seeing her smile at me says so much that she never has to utter a word. Her smile tells me, "I love you son, and I've been praying for you long before you ever knew it." And for that, I owe her everything.
Casey & Kim Hearn (pray for them,... they're NC State fans)
Mr. & Mrs. Casey B. Hearn. There aren't enough praiseworthy words to laude upon these two. I know that Lindy will share about Kim, so let me tell you about my hero: Casey. I was asked not too long ago, what famous person would you most like to be compared to? My response was Casey Hearn. I'm not assuming he's perfect (after all, he is an NC State fan,... tisk tisk.), but if integrity were a commodity, he'd be wealthy beyond imagine. If I am ever talked about in the same breath as Casey, then I will consider myself quite honored. He has served me through prayers, support, and countless other ways that you may never know about. He and his family have done things for us that normal people never consider doing. I guess that's what makes humility so rare. Hmm, ... I guess giants still walk among us.
I am here because of such people. You must look through me to see these kind of individuals. I implore you to do so because the credit isn't mine. Jesus warmed their hearts and it poured out on me. They embody Philippians 2:1-5.
Over the next few days, I want to highlight others. Lindy may do the same. As you read these words, please tell God "thank you" for them. Because without them, ... there is no us.
2 comments:
I agree with you on all counts (at least for the ones I know personally too).
These folks are reminders of what service looks and feels like. And I'm sure, if each of them were asked, they'd say the same remarkable things about the two of you.
AWWWW you like my boy, too! :)
Post a Comment