Sunday, October 11, 2009

Glory...


Let's face it, everyone likes a little glory for themselves every now and then. I would venture to say MOST people really like their birthdays because that means birthday presents, wishes, cakes, and the favorite- birthday money. Well I know one little girl that picks something every birthday that does not glorify herself, but glorifies God. Her name is Elizabeth Beaver. Instead of getting gifts for her birthday, she would rather give to others. I think we all can learn much from this extraordinary little girl.

That being said, I couldn't go today without doing a post on the most astonishing man I have ever known. This man has learned something from Elizabeth. That man is the co-founder of Team Thompson. (The CEO and founder of course being the Lord.) That man is Chris Thompson. Neither of us are very big on birthdays. Forgive us if we don't get ridiculously excited about anyones birthday. We have so many Kenyan friends who are clueless as to when their birthdays are because they weren't born in a hospital and they were born into very poor families. Chris and I don't "do" presents and gifts for one another. We can save our $3 on a cards b/c both of us would rather make our own. In fact, we usually try to see who can make the coolest gifts on the Thompson side. Or we try and go someone cool we've never been.

I asked Chris what he wanted to do for his birthday. And he had apparently already thought about it. He wanted to go and buy food and clothes at the Toi market and take to Mama Sylvia
and the kids. I just love my man! Taking the focus and glory off of himself to turn around and truly give God his "birthday glory".

I did want to take just a brief moment to tell the ones of you who care, 20 reasons why I love this guy so very much (b/c he's turning 20 ;-)

  1. He is constantly striving to be a godly leader in this ministry and family.
  2. He LOVES the Lord and is passionate about discipleship.
  3. He washes dishes when my hands are broken out with eczema.
  4. He washes dishes for no reason.
  5. He is so, so brave here and always seems to know what to do in times of disaster.
  6. He loves me, even when I'm all stinky and sweaty.
  7. He is ridiculously funny- still doing very silly, funny things that keeps me in stitches.
  8. He's supportive and excited about my endeavors (especially with Run4Revolution)
  9. He is outdoorsy and adventuresome. I mean, the dude wants to raft the Nile!
  10. He loves our children so much and is so excited about being a Daddy.
  11. He is such a family man. That boys LOVES his family (that includes mine!)
  12. He's BOLD and not afraid to take risks.
  13. He loves food!
  14. He's not a picky eater.
  15. He thinks I'm the greatest cook (are you seeing a food trend here?)
  16. He loves dating me.
  17. He is such a hard worker.
  18. He's very protective of me.
  19. He's always the first to say he's sorry even when it's not his fault.
  20. He has some really great ideas.
I don't tell you any of this to give Chris glory because neither of us want that. I tell you this to say "Look what God has done through Chris. Look at how God is glorified by who Chris is and models his life after. Look at how Chris' passions and obedience has led him to a life of honoring his Father." May God get the glory for this servants heart on his day of birth!


10 comments:

Raising the Rollins' said...

Happy 20th Chris! You know I already think you are pretty awesome and I sure have missed being in stitches over all of your impersonations and "what nots." We hope you have a wonderful birthday...even if you're rafting down the Nile with the alligators!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Chris! We love you and can't wait to see you!
Joe and Sam

Sandy said...

You are both inspiring--birthday or not! Your passionate pursuit of God's glory is revealed by the way you live out loud for Him. Thank you for ministering to me and for setting such an example of selfless sacrifice. Wow. I know you aren't looking for any kudos, so I'll just say praise HIM!

and...I still cannot believe you took the time to send a snail mail "thank you" for something so small. It wasn't necessary AT ALL, but was another evidence of who you two obviously are. I pray abundant blessings for your ministry.

Only Servants Ministries said...

Didn't this episode air last year?

The Beaver Bunch said...

Happy Burpbay ChrisandLindy.

Can't wait to see you soon and hear all about our friends Zacky and Bubba.

We wuv you,

Da Beaver Kids (and grown-ups too).

M.D. Bowers said...

Happy Birthday old man....hey, thanks for taking it easy on me in fantasy football.

Seriously - I have always appreciated your creativity and love for others, don't let that fade as you get "older and more mature."

Have a great Bday.

Lindsey Broere said...

Awh...Happy 20th birthday Chris...such a young 20 year old too..with the wisdom of at least a 30 year old :-)

I love you guys...we can't wait to spend some time with you both VERY SOON!

Matt Rollins said...

All these things said are true... I hope your 20th birthday is better than your 34th was. In 5 years you can rent a car, which is an excellent experience. Can't wait to see ya man, we got lots to catch up on.

waitingarms said...

Happy Birthday Chris!

Blessings

waitingarms said...
This comment has been removed by the author.