Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Grocery shopping 101...

There are 4 young men who are now off the streets of Kawangware and sleeping under a real roof.  Chris is so passionate about the street boys and the ministry with them and he has such an amazing way with them.  It is so evident the way they love and respect him.  To watch them with him just makes me so proud- the way they cling to every word he says.  

About a month or so after feeding the street boys consistently every Tuesday we were captivated by a few young men who cooked, cleaned, and made sure everyone had food before they took a plate for themselves.  Chris and I began to pray about what Only Servants' role would be with these older street boys.  Chris knew he desperately wanted to get them off the street, get them a trade and working a real job.  Though sniffing glue, in the past, had been a struggle for them they'd been fighting to rid themselves of that temporary pleasure.  I'm not naieve enough to think they don't struggle anymore, but I do believe they are winning this battle.  

Saturday, Chris and I got the pleasure of taking them to Nakumat to get some essential grocery items.  Alex was walking around with his kiddie grocery cart finding the best prices, Evans was toting his 10 pack of Cosy toilet paper on his head, and Don was smelling out every single deodorant.  They were so funny picking it out.  I watched Alex open one, smell it and smile, then shove it right under Evans' nose.  They loved the deoterant.  It was their favorite part of the trip, next to the chicken and fries probably. 


It truly was such a joy to watch these boys in this massive gorcery store wide eyed.  Evans and his brother Don had never been inside anywhere like that, and they live only a mile from it.  As a matter of fact we had called them to meet us at Junction- the name of this small mall like building.  Alex called us and told us the guard would not let them in.  My blood began to boil!  I was so mad!  Why out of everyone who comes in and out of there on foot did the guard have to stop them and tell them they couldn't come in!!?  To me, they look like anyone else!  I would love to know his reasoning as to why they couldn't come in.  I mean why should they be denied and no one else?!  As I walked to the gate I was ready to let some guard have it.  But we simply walked to them and they walked back in with us.  We didn't stop and make a scene.  It didn't matter, the boys weren't phased a bit.  Are they that used to being rejected?  We guided them to the food court where they all ordered chicken, fries, and a drink.  They were HAPPY boys! 

4 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

So sweet. I sure wish I could have seen their faces as they experienced what I consider to be a "chore."

Miss you guys SO VERY much.

Matt Jacobs said...

AWESOME! Chris is truly an answered prayer in the lives of those boys! Keep it up REV.!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love that story. Blessings are so wonderful, I love to hear about them.

Debra Swaim

Teri Fredette said...

Ah man! I wish I could have been there!!!! Wow! Im so glad they are doing well! Tell them hi for me!!