Monday, June 15, 2009

Casseroles, Fire, and jumping...


I feel bad that I haven't updated you people.  But I don't really have all that much to tell you.  Glenn arrived last night from the Congo.  Sally (wife to Glenn) and her team arrive tonight.  Chris and Glenn went to the airport to pick them up.  My breakfast casserole for tomorrow morning is made and in the fridge.  You know... I have a new found love for breakfast casseroles.  I mean... why can't I make them every single morning?  Put em' together at night.  It takes 1 hour to cook.  Therefore I get up at 6, drink coffee, Read about Jesus, put my casserole in at 7, go run, then shower.  Guess what?  It's 8'oclock casserole DONE and people eat!  I mean what's there not to love?  So does anyone have any great breakfast casserole recipes?  Remember we don't have sausage, but I do substitute bacon in it's stead.  Okay, enough about casseroles.

Last week we did get to go see Kilimanjaro with Intern Teri (kinda like Social Worker Steve or Scuba Steve).  It was a sweet trip, i must say.  We both really wanted Intern Teri to see how the large majority of people in Kenya really live.  Here are a few pictures:


Chris and I sitting with the chief of the village.  8 wives people.... yes 8.  They asked Chris how many he had.  He said 1 was plenty enough.  (i picked this picture b/c CT looks like a hottie.  But I don't think I'm suppose to say that on the "ministry blog... so pretend I didn't.")
This lady grabbed my had and made me participate in their jumping dance.  According to the lady's face directly behind me- I was something funny to watch.  Hey- I tried. 

Intern Terry jumping with this Massai woman.  She was so good one of the young guys asked me "How many cows for your sista?"  CT in the background negotiating # of cows for Teri.  :) Just Kidding.  

We learned how REAL men start fires.  Take notes:  

1. Get some dried donkey or camel poo, grind it up with your hand and make it into a pile on the ground.  (**must be donkey or camel b/c they are the only animals that do not digest their food twice.  They need the poo to have larger grains in it.)

2. Get 2 of your pals, a stick of akasha and a piece of teak wood with holes

3. pretend you are REALLY cold with the stick in between your hands

4.  Have your pal blow on the straw and poo once you have a small flame.  Voila---FIRE!

I just find it so fascinating that these people would figure out certain "natural" things are flamable!  God is so cool, ya know?

4 comments:

Lindsey Broere said...

So I took notes, but I'm having a hard time finding camel poo in Lexington :-)

DUDE...I have a recipe for a breakfast French Toast casserole that is so yummy...plus you can use whatever seasonal fruit you can find. I'll email you the recipe. Do ya'll have cream cheese or should I figure out a substitute...

Raising the Rollins' said...

Mmmm, that sounds good (Lindsey's casserole, not the camel poo)! As always, I love your humor Linders...

Unknown said...

Lindy, I've got a couple of recipes for breakfast casserole too which I'll send you. I would imagine a variation of anything you already have would work. Love you guys and miss all 3 of you.

Please tell me that Teri's posting today was a rhetorical question. ugh.

Unknown said...

PS: a hillside of cows wouldn't be enough dowry.