Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hey Mzungu... want my baby?

I have a post for either the adoption blog or here... but it won't do the it justice without the pictures and our internet is just too slow to upload pictures.  I've tried twice to upload then overnight and it's not working.  So I'll just tell you about what happened to Shauna and I today.

Rich isn't feeling so hot today.  He has some stomach problems and I will leave it at that.  He's pretty miserable.  CT, Shauna and I went to church then came home to grab a bite to eat.  Rich was really wanting some sprite and I need to get some bread and what nots at the store.  So Shauna and I drove down the the Nakumat.  I parked in the back for some reason.  I NEVER park in the back because of all the Hawkers.  They drive me bonkers some times b/c they NEVER listen to me!  But now that I can speak a bit more Kiswahili- I was able to forcefully yet politely get my point across.  We then went in and did our grocery shopping and got in the checkout line.  A little 2yr old boy and his mother were behind us in line.  Little fella was babbling about something as he played with our buggy (Shauna thinks it's hilarious that I use the word "buggy" instead of grocery cart).  Here is what happened next:

The boy's mother: Brian, get out of there!  

Shauna: Oh it's okay.  Kids get into things sometimes.      

Mother: Do you want him?

Shauna and Lindy: (trying to give courtesy laughs)

Mother: Seriously, he's 2- do you want him?

Shuana and Lindy: (still hoping she's kidding) Oh Brian- you certainly are a cute boy.  

Mother: You can have him for free.  Life in Kenya is very hard and I cannot take care of him.  

Shauna: Uh... okay.

Lindy to Shauna: Gez.  Tell her to drop him off at New Life Homes if it's really that bad.  Somebody will adopt him who WANTS a child.  (Mind you- both the mother and boy are 1.  Shopping in a grocery store and 2. dressed well.  They both look nicely kept.)

Shauna to Lindy: Seriously?  You want me to tell her she can drop him off there?

Lindy to Shauna:  Yes- and I'll give her directions.  

Shauna tells Mother.

Mother:  Great.  Can I get directions?  

Lindy:  Go straight at Yaya. Turn right then left.  You can only drop off your child between 8-6 M-F.  (Wow- it sounds weird saying that.)

Shauna and I proceeded  to the Chemist to get Rich some drugs then walked out to the car.  As we approached the car, here comes Mom and Brian.  

Mother:  Can I get directions again?  You are sure you can't take him?

Lindy: Sure.  (I write down directions)  No, as much as I would LOVE to have you child, it would not be legal for me to just take your child.  

Mother:  I understand.  Things are just so hard here.  I don't have money or a job.  Thanks for the directions. 



So- a mother tried to give us her baby today...  
That always makes for an interesting day.  

Poverty does terrible things to people.  
I've also seen those in poverty keep their children and do whatever it takes.  





3 comments:

cathy hudler said...

Snap! that's all I know to say

Hall Family said...

OH MY! That is just terrible. I think you handled the situation very well. How sad for the little boy to have to hear though. Hopefully he could not understand what she was really trying to do with him. Heartbreaking!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...That is shameful. Especially after having a kid for 2 years, and still be detached enough to hand them over to somebody to never see them again. I can't imagine that. The saddest part it, is was most likely for selfish reasons, and not that "life is too tough".

-Matt