About 2 weeks ago:
Shauna, Rich and I walked to a veggie stand in Kibera the other day to grocery shop when Shuana spotted my little Isaac Rabin! I hadn't seen him since September. I was so glad to see him- I walked right over to him and hugged his sweet neck. He had a big smile on his face. He looked unkept, dirty, and had a snotty nose. Now, Isaac is not a talker. Partly because he's shy, partly because he has a speech impediment. He understands very little english and I don't know very much Kiswalhili. I told him how much I've missed him and that we love him. We grabbed hands and began to walk toward the veggie stand. Finally, I asked him the question in which I felt sure he'd understand. "Are you hungry?" He nodded and continued starring at the ground and shuffling his feet as we walked. I told him we'd feed him. He ate 2 bannanas and had an orange drink. Then I took him back to pastors house. I wasn't sure how he'd feel about that since he'd run away so many times during school. But of course everyone lovingly embraced him. We all made it very clear to him that even if he didn't want to come to school, he could ALWAYS come there if he was hungry.
Last week:
Isaac came back to the house on Thursday. He knows that we are ALWAYS in Kibera every Thursday. He had Chai with us. He smiled every time I caught his eye. I love to see him smile...
Monday:
Chris, Frank, and Rich went out evangelizing one last time while Frank and Dottie were in town. Dottie and I helped cook, serve Chai to the kids, ate grilled corn, and played games with the kids at Berith school- Wow... we had SO MUCH FUN! Missionaries really just have fun all the time. It's just a big playground over here!! :) Isaac found Chris and Pastor out and about. He came back to the house with them for lunch.
We had fun taking pictures with Isaac. He thought this picture was HILARIOUS...
(I think Chris just wanted to show off how hot it was evangelizing.)
Today:
When we arrived at pastor Indiazi's house we gave out the clothes that BHBC team had left to Beatrice, Tafrosa, and Mama Sylvia. Boy were they excited! About an hour after our arrival I saw two feet under the gate... then they went away. I wondered if it was Isaac so I went out to the gate and opened it. Standing on the other side of the ditch was Isaac smiling that sweet smile. I had recieved a paper with 2 names of books that Sylvia needed for class so I asked Isaac to walk with us. When we got to the bookstore I bought Sylvia's books. During my transaction i couldn't help but notice Isaac pointing at the colored pencils and crayons. I thought... maybe if I bought him his own book, he would work with me one on one. Right at that moment Beatrice walked up behind us. I got her to ask Isaac if he would be work on his book if I bought him one. He nodded with a grin. As soon as I gave the man the shillings Isaac took the book from the man and flipped through it. He wanted to carry it and hang on to it. I worked through the book with him back at the house. I can really tell a big difference in him when it's just he and I. He's still shy in his responses to me when I ask him questions... but I know it's because he is afraid he cannot correctly say "green". I think his biggest need as far as school goes- is encouragement. He needs to be told at the end of every page "VERY GOOD!"
Want to know the most heartbreaking thing that I have yet to mention but that has happened EVERY day we've been with Isaac? Every time we go to leave- this 10 year old boy begins to sob. Rip my heart out! It absolutely breaks my heart. He walks slowly behind the car crying...
Even though I told him in Swahili I would see him later. When I let my mind ask "why does he cry when we leave?" I think about the fact that somehow... we might remind him of his mom and dad. I wonder how long he cries. I wonder if maybe he stops after we are no longer in his sight. I wonder if he's lonely when he gets home and his grandmother is still out at her veggie stand. One of the toughest things about living here is not being able to just TAKE home a poor, orphaned child. That may sound cliche, but if you could only see him, touch him, and love him you'd feel the same way.
Today's Praises!
*Unbeknownst to Chris, I prayed for a muslim convert this morning during my (quick) prayer time after breakfast. On the way home from Kibera- Chris was telling me that it was a great day on the streets. He said "We spoke with 2 muslims and one of them listened to every word I was saying. He really was focused and interested. I made sure he understood and he made a decision today!" Then I told him my prayer this morning. He said "REALLY?" God makes me smile.
*Isaac wants to learn!
*A very needed and clarifying meeting occurred with Chris, Meshak, and Muhammad. They feel very positive about the results.
*Chris and I start Kiswalhili lessons Monday!! (9 hours a week)
2 comments:
Wow. When we come, keep Issac away from me. Otherwise, he will be smuggled back to the US in my suitcase.
I'm totally serious. And, I totally miss you.
I love stories like this! but it saddens me that you dont have my blog under friends. haha love you and miss you TONS!!
Post a Comment