FYI: If you just can't get enough of that is going on here in Kenya- I encourage you to visit Joy's Blog as she is bloging different events than me. We are kind of tag team bloging so one of us isn't constantly on the computer.
I'm really hoping that you aren't getting tired of me talking about "the kids". But they are what and who I think about all the time. Not a day goes by that I don't think about them or have to see them.
I've never really thought of myself as a "kid person". I mean- I'm okay with children, but quite honestly- some intimidate me. Like when they ask me questions I don't know. I can remember one child (who is probably keeping up with this blog) that came up to me when I was about 20. She started asking me bible trivia. Just to let you know: I really, really, really don't like bible trivia b/c I can't remember jack squat! Not to mention I didn't learn it as a child. I think she was asking me who somebody's daddy was in the bible. Of course I didn't know. Then she asked who the oldest person in the bible was- didn't know that. I mean- I remember being seriously embarrassed b/c I was at my youth pastors house. I'm supposed to know this stuff right?
At any rate- I'm totally a "kid person" now. I LOVE EM'! I can't get enough of them. So all that to say- if you're tired of hearing about my kids- you might need to just read the newsletters and E-Letter updates. For they only have small doses of my kids in them.
I wish I could recreate some of the stories Chris shares with me about witnessing in the slums, but I just don't think I would do them justice because I wasn't there. Maybe he will tell you about them in the next E-Letter update. I can tell you that just this past week in Kibera and Kawangware that 40 more people have come to know the saving grace of Jesus Christ!
Friday afternoon Joy, Beatrice and I took 7 children to the giraffe center in Karen. I'm not sure who was more excited- me or the kids. Again, this was only the 2nd time any of them had ever been in a car. (The first being our trip to the hospital for their check ups.) Joy was really taking advantage of the fact that riding in the car was such a treat for them. Every bump and hill they were throwing their hands up and yelling like they were on a roller coaster ride. (Joy doesn't mind being a tad loud sometimes.) Rewind to when we got to Indiazia's to take the kids. Sylvia brought me a bag with nice clothes in it. I said "Where did they get these clothes?" Isaac even had some new shoes on. New to him anyway. (Mind you they knew we were going to the giraffe park all week. They tried to be on their best behavior all week so they would get to go. Like I would deny any of them that opportunity....but don't tell them that) Sylvia has this famous blue dress- she wears it probably 6 days out of the week. But she pulled out this beautiful yellow, clean dress to show me. Then she continued pulling out an outfit for each of her siblings. Come to find out, its custom for the parents to save their money all year to buy the children newer outfits for Christmas, then they are 'put away' until the next Chrismas. When Charles put his clothes on they were a too small. He hadn't put them on in 8 months! I can't possibly describe to you the joy on their faces when they were changing into their nice clothes to go on their field trip. I also found out that Isaac's 16yr old sister bought him some shoes in Kibera when she found out about his field trip.
Check out the slideshow below to see our field trip. What a blast we had!
Here are a few random giraffe facts for you:
A giraffe's heart weighs 24lbs
A giraffe's toungue is 18 inches long
The giraffe's scientific name is camelopardalis.
This is the Latin version of cameleopard
2 comments:
Well, I fly out tomorrow morning and it makes me overwhelmingly sad to think about leaving Kenya. I have had so much fun making memories with you two and "getting uncomfortable" for the sake of helping others and growing closer to this beautiful God of ours. Please take care of Shauna while I'm gone, she will need the fellowship! I love you both SO much and hope to hear from you through email often!
I bet those kids had a blast. I bet you and Joy had an even better time. I bet I would sure like to be there too.
I bet I love you more than you know.
Hugs and bugs....wait, no bugs.
Post a Comment