It wasn't long before the other Samaritans Purse people showed up. Honestly, we didn't necessarily want to hand them out. We just wanted to watch or sit with them an they opened them. If you've ever been to distribution center in Charlotte to work you know that after you go through each box to make sure there aren't any "no-no's" in the box you send them to the end to get wrapped with tape. This way they don't come apart in travel. When it came time for them to open them (all at the same time) most of the kids had to wait on an adult to come around with something sharp to help them open it. I was so busy getting to every child i could as fast as i could that i never did pick one child to watch open it. I got to the kids after they had opened it. But it was still awesome! One little girl that chris found- got her 5 stick pack of gum, carefully opened each and every piece and shoved each one in her mouth. Her cheeks were packed out! I couldn't take my eyes off of her because she was about 4 and I was so afraid she was going to choke! She kept making funny faces. Another little girl got a barbie doll and she was petting her hair, justa' talking to her. I'm not sure what the were talking about, but it was an intense conversation. They had a lot to catch up on apparently. I wanted to see the older boys open their packages as well. There was one boy about 14/15 who got probably an 8-year-olds shoes. He was laughing though- plus you NEVER know. I really think that God specifically choses each pair of hands those boxes land in. I heard a story one time where a child got a whole box of just socks. Someone helping in the distribution was really disheartened that this box would get "missed" and that the child didn't get a single toy, candy, pencil, or marker... just socks! As the worker was going through the box with the child she noticed the child was smiling as she was pulling out the socks. Turned out there were enough socks in the box for the WHOLE family! Aunts, uncles, grandma... everyone! The child was so tickled to go home to give out all the socks the family had been praying for!!!!
Joy started reading a card in a box to the child who had received it. She said she had to stop in the middle of it to cry. (Too bad I didn't catch that with the camera). The letter I read was from a little girl in Virginia. She even drew a picture and put it in the box. So cool.
There is a goal of 8 million shoe boxes to be distributed this year. I want to encourage all of you to do a few shoe boxes. I know I will when I get home. Not only fill the shoe boxes, but pray over them. Ask God to place them in the right hands and to help you know what to fill them with. If God prompts you to buy something... just do it. He wants to help you fill it.
Who knows... maybe one day you'll get to be on this end!
4 comments:
Hey there! Yeah I think you can post the pictures. I don't thank that is a problem at all. Just free PR there! Hope you guys are doing great. Im going to add your blog to mine! It is so cute!
Oh I bet it was absolutely incredible. What a blessing that must have been for you all. I do already have stuff for some boxes and now I can't wait to fill them up!!! Love you
So, so, so cool.
Oh, like you're not counting.....30 days!!!!!!
YAY!
Thank you for being an inspiration to me. I am in charge of the shoe boxes for our church, at first I thought it was a simple task, but the Lord has shown me that this is my minsitry. I may not be able to travel to Africa or Singapore and another country to tell others about the greatest gift from God. I know I can pack a shoebox and encourage others to do the same.
Post a Comment