Sunday, September 7, 2008

"Back to school, Back to school..."



My kids are starting school today and I gotta tell you.  I'm really sad!  It's really bittersweet b/c I'm sooooo excited that they now have this opportunity but I'm down that I can't go just hang out with them during the day.  Joy and I have talked about doing some prayer walking around Kibera now until the Lord leads us to the next needy school or children.  I'm so thankful that God has given me the opportunity to minister to those children in the center of Kibera.  But recently God has made is VERY clear that it's time to move on.  I will say I put up a bit of a fight b/c I loved that school so much.  But I have to follow His lead.  After all it is HIS story- not mine.  He just choses to use me in it.... but not because He needs me.  
I know now that I was introduced to that school "for such a time as this."  I was there for a few reasons but the main one was to get Paul, Brian, Sylvia help, food, medical attention, clothes, education, love, and Mom a better paying job.  I also have some really great news for you all about their Mama.  The mother accepted Jesus to be Lord of her life he first Sunday at church!!!  My eyes welled up with tears as I learned of this wonderful news from Meshek.  Please pray for her and she is at a bit of a disadvantage b/c she cannot read or write.  She has joined Meshek's new believers class and is doing well.  Chris preached at a church in Kibera yesterday so Joy, Shauna, and I went to Berith Church b/c there was no where to park the car where he was going deep into Kibera.  It was such a blessing to see the kids' Mama with a big smile! 

Now on to the Forum:
 I've been struggling with what to blog recently b/c I'm a bit afriad I'm starting to bore you all. So now you have a chance to help me with my next blog. 
     
I got this idea the other day to have an opportunity for an open forum for those who follow Only Servants Ministry.  So here is your chance to ask some questions.  This is also for those of you who have never commented before.  Did you think you would be able to get off that easy?  It's really simple.  You can do it anonymously even!  Simply come up with a question or 2 that you have about life in kenya, what we are doing, the slums.... anything you want.  Everything is fair game!  You can even give suggestions of something you would like to see on the blog.  I'm open for ideas!  After you pick your questions click on "comment" at the bottom of this blog.  Write your question in the box and click "open ID" then write you name or you can comment anonymously.  You do not have to be signed in to blogger to write a comment or question.   
On my next post I'll do my best to answer your questions.  If I don't know I'll try to find out.  Hope you guys have lots of questions!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you possibly, EVER even remotely consider the slightest possible possibility that you are boring any of us out here in blogland? I REGULARLY check to see if you've updated, and I always enjoy your entries. Because I LOVE being in Nairobi so much (and miss it so much when I'm in the States) I love hearing from you about day-to-day life there. Tell us more about your experiences with grocery shopping, paying the telephone bill, the electricity going off, the weather, your guests, going to church, experiences in Kibera and Kawangware, etc., etc. Bottom line: we don't care so much WHAT you discuss, just keep on feeding it to us! Sally C

Anonymous said...

I am a regular as well I love to see what God is doing in both of your lives & Kenya as well. But I have a couple questions.

How hard is it to sit and watch all that is around you and realize how well america has it?

I know some people tell me I shouldn't minister outside the country because people in America are just as poor as those in Africa do you agree?

I hope to get some feed back & I love asking ?'s & reading your blog.

Chasity

Anonymous said...

Your blog is my home page so that I can read the latest as soon as it is posted. Sometimes all I do is sit and cry, not even being able to finish what you have written until later. God has so blessed this country. We, who call ourselves Christians will be held extra accountable for how we have used those blessings.
You and Chris, like so many of the other young people you have introduced us to where you are, have jumped in to follow His lead and do what you can to tell all you meet about Christ through action and deed as well as word.

Don't you or Chris every, every, every think that what you say in your blogs or e-mails is getting boring or anything else. God is directing you in what to tell.
Please include more of your daily routine, especially when you go out to the market, etc., as it gives us a better picture of what it is like there. Pictures help too.

Yours, In Christ - Montana a 1,000000 times

Special K said...

One question I have is...
Do you all have any way to follow up with those who make decisions? I know there is a four month process they all go through but do you get to go see all of those people and help further their growth?

Anonymous said...

Hey Linders,
Remember me your ole pal Sarah. I haven't forgotten about you guys. I think all my attempts to contact you guys have failed. Shoot me and email sometiime, or you can find me on skype. Talk to you soon.
Love
Sarah M

The Beaver Bunch said...

Found/killed any black mambas yet?

I read RuthAnn's book and she said she found one curled up in a blanket, in her bedroom, on a chair.

You are checking your sheets at night, right?

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad that Kevin knows the process new believers go thru, but I don't. Please explain.

And do you miss anything from home besides family and friends?

Hall Family said...

What can we do to HELP?

How Hot is it there? We have seen pictures with kiddos/people wearing long sleeves and pants.

ALSO, My kiddos and I are so interested in everything you guys write about and the pictures allow them to really SEE what you all are seeing. Keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lindy. I have come to a better understanding about what you and Chris are doing in Kenya. Your experiences make me smile, knowing you as I have for so much of your life.

I am wondering about your household help and what they do. Are they all believers?

Also, does Chris have a separate page? I would like to know more about his thoughts and challenges in the ministry. Do you ever go out together?

Keep up the faith. You are doing fine. Sometimes the baby steps turn into something bigger than we realize at the time.

Debra S

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindy,
Boring...where and who is the source of that crazy thought???? Maybe the little evil one who just loves to make us second guess ourselves???? Anyway.... no questions right now, but I will say that I do NOT like reading books. However, I LOVE reading your blogs at night before I go to bed. I'm reminded of specific ways I can being praying for you guys. I'm so proud of you and Chris. Enjoy this time in your life:) We'll chat more later:)- deb K.

Anonymous said...

How's my baby Linders and Christerpher? I have someone stop me every single day to ask about you all. How fortunate do we feel to be a part of something so GOD sized that it is beyond our ability to be able to understand it. We know that you being in Africa can only be from Him- especially because we remember a little girl so terrified of spiders and other crawly creatures. Keep on blogging- we love reading it!
Ma