You all have given me some really great blog ideas! Thanks so much! Please, from now on don't hesitate asking questions. You might just spark a really great blog! I will probably answer these over a few blogs so you don't have to read a REALLY long one. Plus, it may take me a while. I will take the quote from the questions, then answer it below.
Paying the phone bill: Well, we nixed the land line here because it was so expensive. Now we just have our cell phones. (which cost about 15¢ a minute to call but nothing to receive) So no free verizon to verizon here. It's hilarious seeing a Maasi warrior standing in a field herding the cows and talking on a cell phone. I enjoy texting people instead of calling b/c it's only 5ksh instead of 10. Yea, Captain Frugal is still at it.
Electricity: It goes out frequently, but only at the most inopportune moments possible. Like right in the middle of dinner with guests, or during the climax of a movie. I won't complain about it though. I like to think it saves us on our power bill. :)
Weather: Still chilly at night and in the mornings (In house temp is about 64 when the sun isn't out). We just entered the official "rainy season". So far it has rained every day, but just short showers.
Our Guests: I never thought this part of our ministry would be SO much FUN! I love meeting new people and getting to hear their stories. Our last guests was a pastor and wife from New Jersey. They were fascinating! I had a much needed chat over a mocha with Carol while Chris and Ken were doing evangelism in Kawangware. Their story was so awesome to hear. I laughed, cried, and sat it awe of what God has done throughout their lives. It is such a great opportunity to meet new people and create amazing relationships. Today we have a 1/2 day group coming in with New DIrections. Then... we'll hear the crickets. NOBODY else until the end of December. :( (except Joy, but she's family)
Church: Hmmmm.... There have been so many! We have been to several due to Chris being invited to speak. I guess our own church would be Nairobi Pentacostal Church. When you walk in, you can just feel the Holy Spirit's presence there. Though we haven't been able to go in a few weeks, we are still kind of visiting around a bit. I thought NPC was my favorite until Joy, Shauna, and I got to go to Berith Church in Kibera this past Sunday. One of our partnering pastors preached and BOY DID HE! (Plus, my little babies are there.) It was the best sermon I have heard since I have been there and I understood every word! Bonus! (yes, it was in english) There is a true anointing on that man!
Kawangware and Kibera: Honestly, I don't have very much involvement there in Kawangware. Chris goes by himself on Tuesdays. I haven't found too much to do there. Partly, b/c my heart was left in Kibera the first day. Now, I'm just trying to figure out where I fit now that the kids are in school. There may be a really amazing opportunity opening up with a lady from New Zealand. She is a nurse so she runs a clinic as well as teaches sewing and knitting to Muslim women in Kibera. Uh- COOL! I heard of her through a missionary I just met from Maralal. If you will, pray I'll find a new place to minister. B/c I was a distraction to the kids went I went on Thursday to their school.
By the way, they are doing pretty well now. Their first day they gave them all a fit. Crying, running out of class, being disruptive... whatever they could do. Tafrosa said they kept running out of class to the gate. Then they'd lay down in front of it so they could look under it. Apparently they were looking for us. :(
Glad we didn't go Monday. Also- pray for Isaac. He is having the toughest time and I'm worried about him. He runs away. He really doesn't like it. He's 10 years old and can barely write his numbers 1-10. I think he just really needs some encouragement. if I knew how to home school, I'd bring him to the house and let him stay here for a week to just try and get him acclimated to the school scene. One day he just didn't show up. So Tafrosa talked to Grandmother (who started crying b/c she just lost her son (Isaac's uncle). She said she would walk with him to school. But when they went to leave the house she was shutting the door and Isaac took off. He was there Thursday, but only after Indiazi found him out wondering around. I want him to have a desire to learn, but at the same time, he's 10 yrs old in the baby class with a speech problem. I think he's scared, nervous, feeling out of place, and has never been to school.
Okay- I'll answer more tomorrow.
2 comments:
Love this post! I will pray for Isaac. Children with disabilities don't always have a desire to learn...it is too difficult for them...they realize their struggles. Here in the US everything is available for them and it still is a slow process. Many of them receive assistance until graduation. Isaac has a long road ahead of him, but at least you and others are there for encouragement. Maybe you could treat him to dinner and tutor him once a week. I'm sure it would give him something to look forward to and maybe he'll enjoy learning with you.
Oh, the nursing clinic sounds wonderful! I know God will open new doors for you. You're working for Him and I'm sure He'll keep you busy!
Hey, I really miss you.
and Chris too.
But it seems yall are out there doing that sounds amazing.
Let me ask you something, do you get super worked up about things like I have heard Chris of doing (and been compared to) or are you the organizer of the relationship?
I have some amazing oppurtunites coming up and I am pretty much completely scaried, because the passion was there, the idea is here... but now i'm stumped... I need help...
I'm praying for you both, and I really hope to hear from you soon =]
Post a Comment