Monday, August 4, 2008

Familiar faces...


What a treat to see some all too familiar faces from our home church this past weekend.  Chris and I were like little kids Thursday night before they came.  We stayed awake until about 1:30am wide eyed and so stoked.  Friday night we ate dinner then sat around hearing each persons expectations of the week to come.  (Obviously I was unable to go to South Horr seeing as I have internet access)  They had a great time of sharing and bonding.  I was very impressed with how well everyone's responses made sense on such little sleep.  It was very nice weather for their safari at Nakuru Saturday.  (Chris and I went, but we weren't caring so much about the animals).  I had a great time rekindling an old friendship with a girlfriend from childhood.  God has done miraculous things in her life.  Seeing her glow about what the Lord has done in and through her was such a blessing to me.  

Yesterday we took the team to our church.  We had communion for the first time in Africa.  I think it is so cool that their first acts in Africa was to take communion.  How special!  We stayed up late again last night trying to get all our chatting in before they left this morning.
  
I stood on the porch this morning waving at my friends as they left for Wilson Airport to set out for the bush.  I turned around and started into the house.  I realized right then- that I was totally alone for the first time: no guards, no house help, no husband, and no friends.  The tears began to build, but not because I was alone.  I really did want to go to South Horr, but I know I'm supposed to be here this week- for many different reasons.  I took this opportunity of being alone to sit on the steps of my soul and pray for the team.  I'm looking so forward to what God will be doing in Kibera this week.  
 
I am so humbled by the care packages sent by our family and friends.  It was like Christmas!!  (And I'm sure I was acting like a child opening it).  I must say I had a hard time coming up with legitimate things to request when asked.  I found there really wasn't anything legitimate.  I just kept thinking "But we aren't suffering over here- there really isn't anything we can tell them WE need".  Oh well!  It was fun to get some surprises.  I did ask for pictures and we received a massive family calender from my sister in law's (I'm pretty sure they all had a part in making it because I found some secret pictures in there that few people would know the story behind.  It's probably my favorite (besides the embarrassing amount of peanut butter).  My best bud sent me a stack of cards to replenish my initial stack.  I have had a card to open every Sunday since we've been here.  I've even had one when I was sick and for when I needed encouragement.  This time she's helping me to study women of the bible every Sunday.  I LOVE IT! I just can't begin to put into words how amazing it was to get things from "back home".  Thanks for spoiling us everyone!!

Unfortunately you won't be seeing any pictures I took of our team nor will you be seeing any new photos for a while.  My camera is GONE!  I believe it got swiped which doesn't surprise me.  I'm not going to dwell on it.  Bottom line- it's gone and that's that.  Sorry guys...

I do have some pictures from Thursday I downloaded (thankfully) before my camera was MIA.  These are my buddies that are coming to hang this week.  

 Doing a little song and dance at the school for the kids. (Check out the synchronization here)

"Read God's bible, pray everyday- you will grow, grow, grow"  
So this is humorous now, but it wasn't at the time.  I was trying really hard to cross over a big chunk out of the bank, not slip down the muddy embankment, and yet dodge the train (Which was stopped when we first started on the tracks, but started moving once we started walking)  

1 comment:

Hall Family said...

I am glad you were able to see some familar faces. I could only imagine the excitement you and Chris must have had while awaiting their arrival.
I hope you have a backup camera....We love the pictures!

Blessings-Hall Family