First of all, let me start by telling you about our car ride. I dropped Chris off in Kawangware (which is a whole other story to be told by CT at later date). When I went to pick them up, boy- they were so ready to go! They jumped in the car laughing and smiling. As we started toward to hospital, Meshek asked them if they'd even been in a "gari", or car, before. They ALL declined. They were treating our little old suzuki like a roller coaster. It was cracking me up. That was so much fun for them!
On to the good stuff: I told you all that I would give you an update on their status. I took all 4 of the siblings plus my sweet little Isaac. (One day, I'm going to pinch his cute little dimples off! I should have a picture of him next week to put on the computer- Thanks to my sweet daddy!) All 5 had upper respiratory infections and "slight flu". Isaac had "strep" head- (I have no clue. He has white spots on his head. I didn't ask... I figured I'm a nurse I should know what a "strep" head is?? right??) Isaac also has thrush. The little ones of course are malnourished - as we already knew. They all have worms... no surprise. We got some extra vitamins for all of them to take along with being fed 3 meals a day.
I went ahead and made the decision to have blood work done on all of them. Especially since we are unaware of dad's location and how the parents of Isaac died. Sylvia was nervous and "fearing an injection" the whole time. I kept telling her- she was going to be just fine. I knew they would do pretty well b/c kids here are much tougher than American Kids. Kenyan kids would probably tell the American ones to "buck up" as Becky would say. Sylvia was first and started flipping out. So I grabbed her up and held her in my lap. I made her look right into my eyes and whether she could understand me or not I said "Sylvia, I will never let anything 'bad' happen to you. You are okay... you are safe." As she calmed down- still those big brown eyes with huge tears pierced my heart. I never thought it would bother me one bit- but I just about lost it. Tears started to well up in my eyes. Just the thought of her fear broke my heart. As many injections and IV starts as I've done to children in my 4 years of ER nursing... I never cried. What is wrong with me?? Gez!
Wow. Any way- they all did great. Isaac is such a sweetie pie, but doesn't seem to understand as much an Sylvia and Charles. So he sat down like a big boy with a smile. But when that needles went in- his face turned so sour and he couldn't have been more shocked! Tears immediately streamed down his face. I think it almost took his breath away. Gosh.. my heart again... Did someone just rip it out of my chest, throw it on the ground and beat it with a stick? I swallowed hard... the next... and the next... and the next one. ALL DONE! Time for treats and snacks! I'm pretty sure they all thought it was worth all the juice, nuts, and twizzlers (thanks to Auntie Pat!) afterwards. Brian wasn't my best friend for about 4 minutes afterwards though. His veins were bad and they had to stick his little hand.
But I'm THRILLED to report that God is Good ALL THE TIME and everyone was NEGATIVE!!!!! Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!!!
11 comments:
Lindy,
There is nothing wrong with you, trust me. What you experienced today, the empathy, the desire to take away the hurt, the depth of their pain....that's what a MOTHER feels for each of her children. Your heart is being bonded friend, to these children who so desperately need the love of Christ. I hope you know how much I'm praying for you. Much, much, much love.
Ohh.. I want you to bring them home with you in November!! Could you do that? I mean.. they could come live with me. We could raise them to be Tar Heels. That's like.. Second to knowing Jesus. Got it?
1. Yayy Jesus!
2. Yayy Carolina!
Good. Now we have a game plan. Love you, mean it!
Grace, are you sure you aren't destined to be a motivational speaker? I like the game plan by the way. Very good idea.
lindy,
i found your blog through jessicas and have been keeping up with yours as well. what you are doing is sooo awesome and i have been praying for you and chris. is there anything you guys need for the children or yall that i could send?? please let me know. love, anna
Hey Lindy!
I completely agree with Jessica's comment.
That is exactly how any real mother would have reacted. I am so glad you had them tested and Praise the Lord they were all negative!!!!!
-I am curious though, how long will you be staying in November?? I might have missed that info at some point-Sorry!
Okay, now I feel like a terrible mother! I never cry when Levi has his shots, but I'm blinking away tears as I read your post! I thought the same thing as Jessica...you feel a mother's love for all of them and I'm so thrilled you are experiencing that. Sounds like they trust you like their mother too...but for that, I'm not surprised. I love you...can't wait until November...
Lindy lindy lindy,
This one is hilarious. When we are at work we do it b/c we have to and we are not as emotionally attached to the kids!
First rule of thumb though:
1)when you are holding a child who needs a shot who is crying DO NOT START CRYING! or at least don't let them see you cry. i'm suprised she actually stayed in your lap!
I LOve you linders. I'm glad everything is going great with the babes. I bet the car ride was hysterical. They must love you soooooo much. Probably as much as I do!
JMcJ
Lindy - you have such a heart of compassion - Jessica is right, that is exactly what a mother does. And a father - you know the Holy Spirit moves within us, especially concerning children. It weeps with joy and with sorrow. And God will use your heart to reach His people there. I'm so very proud of you for answering His call and being faithful - you and Chris. We love you and pray for you every day . . .
Lindikins,
I love to read your blogs. It reminds me of why I admire and love you so much. Isnt it funny how real life always sounds so much more interesting than something you read in a book? I will print all your blogs out, curl up in bed and read them. Some make me cry, ok most make me cry, but it gives me a sense of what is important. I think its precious your heart is so pure that a child crying makes you sad. I love ya sweetie, and I will continue to keep you and Chris in my prayers.
I am praying for you guys and this is totally the way any mom feels for her child(ren)
Love your blog. Who preached, Indiazi or Meshack? We have never had an opportunity to hear either one preach. They always make Frank speak. We would love to hear both.
.e
Post a Comment