I got the incredible privilege of getting to know 2 of the pastors wives better through helping them prepare and serve meals. The conference was free to the pastors (supported by Rev. Glenn Clark). They were fed like kings. The people apparently don't eat like that all the time. It started Wednesday and ended Friday- 8:30am-4pm. Since I was busy helping cook, drying dishes, and playing with wee ones- I can only tell you about my experience. Chris will be writing more about the conference later today or tomorrow.
I had such a blast with these women and children. They taught me so much: how to make chapatis and real Kenyan tea, I learned some key Kiswahili words, I learned many children songs- along with the macarena (preschool style).
This is Mama Toni making Chapatis. Those things can't be good for you. She put like 4 TBS of oil on each side of the chapatis. Just before I ate one they told me that I was "not slim like in January." Yes! I love gained lb's! I mean- if they keep making me eat Chapatis- what do they expect?
Mama Barnabas (or Beatrice) making the stew with baby in tow. Man, he's so cute! I took about 100 pictures of him. (Please note the oil in her left hand... yea they put it in everything) She and I laughed and laughed. I think she may just be my African Soul Sista. She may just be that national "good friend" I've been praying for. Her smile is so contagious. Her Husband is also one of the pastors that this ministry supports. What a precious family!
Yep, that is a knife Barnabas is about to insert into my right thigh. He was "helping" us cook, but I think it was just a ploy to snatch the knife and come after me.
He finally warmed up to me after playing cars with him for a few hours. (He kind of reminded me a little of Sam Hearn- I mean obviously not the skin color. I think it might be his big sweet eyes.)
The ladies washing dishes. I wish you could really see the charcoal grill thing under the wash pot along with the steam coming up from the pot. I mean, if my hands had been in that dishwater I might have screamed like a little girl. Thankfully I got to dry. :)
It's really cool how they call each other by their first born. Like my mom wouldn't be Pat- she would be "Mama Matthew". Beth would be "Mama Levi." If you refer to some of them as their real name- others may not know who you are talking about. They just call me "Auntie."
I will post pictures of the preschool kids and neighborhood children later- as this is getting rather lengthy.
12 comments:
Oh! He is too stinkin cute! I'm glad you had fun playing with some African babies!! :)
So.. What exactly are Chapatis? Other than circle thingies with oil on them? Hmm..
Love you!
Linderella,
Let me just say that "you rock"! i especially love your attitude toward the "added pounds"! Very inspiring for me! Thanks so much for allowing us to travel w/ you as you reach others for Jesus. Have i told you lately that i love you?! Well i do!
min
awe.. you guys are tender!! Mindi- I love that you are following us! We enjoy you being here with us! I look forward to your cute comments.
Gracie, Chapatis are simple- flour, salt, water and oil. mix em together and make dough. Roll em out- put lots more oil and cook em. That's it. They are like thick tortillas... but they don't taste as good... but don't tell anyone I told you that. I don't wanna hurt feelings...k?
It looks like you were having a BLAST!!! Those kids we're adoreable, and the ladies seem amazing!! I can't wait to play with some of those African babies WITH YOU!!!
Love Love LOVE You!!!
And I second GK's Question...
What ARE they?
♥Paige
do u hav a chapatis recipie u can send? hope u guys are doin well! lets talk monday, same time as last week. can u maybe post some pix of your house
love ya'll
-max
Max- click on the Livingstone House in the Labels to the right. That will give you a great view of the house.
http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/online_recipes/indiapakistan/chapatis.php
copy and paste this link for the Chapatis recipe. I made an authentic Kenyan meal for CT's birthday in October and made them... we liked them... I didn't put near the oil they do here though.
http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/online_recipes/indiapakistan/chapatis.php
okay max... for some reason it didn't copy all of it.... try this one above
okay... well -just google "chapatis recipe." Gez. I don't know why it won't show the whole thing when I go to publish my comment.
I am pretty much stalking your blog, and then I realized that I hadn't left a comment yet. So....missing you and looking forward to some more precious baby pics.
i love reading your blogs! n i cant wait to see you gusy soon! i love your servant hearts and i'm praying for you two! see you soon!
love anna d.
Ha Ha.... Mamma Matthew, not Mamma Lindy. No, kidding... sort of. Miss you guys, glad to see you are meeting friends. We know they must be amazing people.
Hey Auntie!
My kiddos loved this post! Thanks so much for taking all of us on this wonderful mission with you both.
The Pictures are amazing!!
I love STEAMING hot water when I wash my dishes, but I think I would opted for drying instead-lol.
Blessings-Hall Family!
Post a Comment