Friday, July 11, 2008

Nonsense

Just another fun post b/c I'm trying to pass some time.  CT is being important right now and I've been hiding out in the grocery store.  I've been trying to find quiet places to pray for him.  I went over to the furniture area (Guys... you need to think twice the size of super Walmart) to try and find a good comfy place to sit and pray.  I'd get on my knees somewhere but I think someone would would try to help me up.  In this gigantic place there is one employee for every isle and section.  So the couch dude was really looking at me- like he thought I was interested in buying a $3,000 couch.  Any way, that didn't work b/c he was stalking me.  So I just walked around and prayed for him whilst pricing groceries to share with you.  Don't worry- I don't have any money so I didn't buy any of the following, but I just thought this would be another good "nonsense" post to show you guys more about the groceries here.  Maybe because I'm still in shock when I figure some of the prices up.  Candice (one of our Nairobian friends) doesn't seem to flip out anymore about the prices anymore.  Maybe b/c she's been here longer and is used to it now.  When I told CT I wanted to post again on the prices here he made me tell you the good prices of things too.  So they aren't all bad (you can thank Chris).  Oh, and I did eventually find a quiet place to pray... the bathroom worked very well.  It's nice and quiet!

They use kilos, grams, liters here so I've converted them to lbs, oz, and gallons.

1 gallon Milk $4.14
1 block of Philadelphia cream cheese $10.15 
14oz of Bacon $7.40 (we do have to splurge on that... but we use it sparingly)
2 Liter Coke $2.03 (we do without those)
1lb Bananas $0.30 (you can get these even cheaper on the side of the road)
1 can of Tuna $3.74
4.4lbs sugar $2.34
1 Avacado $0.15
Parenting magazine $13.28 (I was just meandering around and saw this crazy price so don't think I'm sending hidden signals- Cosmopolitan cost even more)
Treadmill $4,531.17 (who in their right mind?...)
And next time you want to complain about gas prices, get a load of this:
1 gallon of gas here is $6.07.  We don't have a choice- we have to buy gas! 

Tomorrow I'm going to a Maasi medical clinic to volunteer with our church.  It's from 9a-5p.  I'm not really sure what it's going to be like.  I really don't know if I have the nursing skills the nurses here have.  I'm a bit nervous, but anxious to do something with my passion. We'll see! 
  

6 comments:

Chelsea Marie said...

Wow Lindy, we really have no right to complain about prices here! I love reading your blog and am praying for you guys every day! :)

gk said...

Your silly posts are my favorites! I think of you everytime I go grocery shopping. Just in case you were wondering. And now, I'm going to have to think of you everytime I fill up my car, too. I do that once a week, and I'm usually at the grocery store once a week, too. So that means, I'm thinking about you at least two times a week! Except usually, I think of you two times every like.. 5 seconds.
Love you!

Jennifer said...

Wow!! Such high prices and I thought they were high here..lol!! My sis renee says hey:)
God Bless
Jennifer

Joy said...

love you girl, you are proverbial wife fo shizzle. i too, think of your when i want to #$%^%$ after filling up my car. if we could only think globally.
ps-how bout billy and i met a couple from kenya, who used to live in karen, at the softball field picnic tables in boone,north carolina. margaret and sammy.

Our Journey to Rwanda said...

Linders- So what was Chris doing that had you wandering the grocery praying for him? Not that you need an excuse to pray for your man- just wondering... I can't wait to hear how today went in the clinics. I know you have so many gifts that will be used by our awesome God. Notice I only used the word awesome when describing Him, I learned that from a friend that I used to teach SS with!!! Love you-

Anonymous said...

I thought about u a lot yesterday, I guess b/c I was trying to sell your nursing books and stuff. I kept calling everybody Lindy on accident too, so its obvious I miss you.
Im praying that God allows you the chance to RN a bit over there so you have the chance to bring healing in more than one way! Hope it goes well today.....