Sunday, July 20, 2008

A bit puny ...


I've been in bed all morning whilst everyone else is at church having fun.  I am the last in the house to get sick...but it has hit me hard.  I'm down for the count today.  Thankfully you can go to the pharmacy here and get just about anything you want over the counter. I'm sending Chris for a Z-Pak after church. 
I know I've been so terrible about updating the blog this week, but I've been so busy playing with the Helsby kids and going to Kibera with Chris.  The Helsby's are missionaries in Tanzania and have come to stay at the Livingstone to deliver #6.  They are SO much fun!  We have had such a blast with them.  I know there is no such thing as a perfect child... but these kids are so good!  I've been trying to get some tips and secrets from Becky.  She contributes it to the good Lord and a book called "To Train up a Child" (Thanks Jessica for correcting me).  She and Dave are so kind to the kids when they correct them.  Strict, but kind.  The kids are super respectful AND they do all kinds of stuff to help around the house. They wash dishes, mop, sweep, clean up behind themselves.  I really can't brag on them enough. 
I've been wanting to blog about going INTO Kibera this week with Mama Amani, but I really want to wait until I take pictures this week.  I forgot my camera Thursday... but pictures don't do justice what I saw and experienced.  I want to give you a small taste of just how poor people are.  It's very heavy.  I'm trying to figure out a way we can help the "school" I went to Thursday.  I don't want to get into all that now, but I will write later this week.  I was harrassed before we left Thomasville and promised my friends Jessica that I would update at least every other day.  But I've not been doing well lately.  It's tougher than I thought.  Just a lot of things happening at one time.  So I'm apologizing now for my unkept promises. 

Here are a few pictures from the week:

Art time with Uncle Chris- left to right, Lauren, Megan, Jake, Chris, Carter, Hannah.

Megan (3) was trying so hard to follow Chris' instructions to draw what he was describing with her eyes closed.

Yesterday Candice and Nathan came over with their children and we had a fish fry.  It was SO yummy!  (Do you see Becky on the far left. Poor thing, she's already like 4 days over due!  But my word- she has the most energy for a 40+ week pregnant woman.)

Aunt Lindy and lil' Meggie.  It will be hard to see them go once baby gets here.


Megan wanted Chris to take a picture of her black baby doll.  (I think she is secretly my child)

Crazy Carter gearing up for the big kickball game.

Kickball game: Lauren, Meggie, Carter, Jake, and Chris against Dave and Hannah.
Score 28 to 30.


Yea... we want at least 5 kids after spending time with the Helsby's

7 comments:

The Roberts Eight said...

We had so much fun yesterday! Thanks! We're praying you'll feel better soon. Dinah said you need to put a sweater on when I told you had a cold! :)

Matt Rollins said...

Hey thar sis. Sure hope you feel better soon. Those kids are super cute, we'd like to meet them some day! You guys send me an email and let me know what I can add to your "care package" I'm sending over.

The Beaver Bunch said...

Awww...Linders. Sorry you're sick. I promise, I'm not TOO upset that you haven't blogged every day....j/k.

As far as the ton of kids go...I think kids are a wee bit like crack. Once you've had some good ones, you're totally addicted and want more. Good analogy, huh?

Also, was the book "To Train Up A Child" by Michael and Debi Pearl? Good book, I've read it and Luke is in the process.

Love you much and praying for a quick recovery.

Raising the Rollins' said...

Awe, Auntie Linders is sick too? You, Levi, and I shall have a pity party across the miles (we're still sick too). So glad you've decided to have a nest full...I love being an aunt!

Oh, by the way, we got your card...love it...wanna frame it. I'm anxiously awaiting your post and pics about Kibera.

I'm really missin' ya this week...love you!

Hall Family said...

The pictures of the kids are so cute!
I think you and Chris would make excellent parents.
Blessings-Hall Family

Hall Family said...

Praying that you feel better soon. Seems like the last one to get sick usually gets the worst of it.-Sorry. I hope you feel better soon. We have missed reading your blog this week!
Blessings-Hall Family

Brittany Bryant said...

Sorry you're sick buddy :( Hope you feel better soon.

I laughed when I saw the picture of Chris doing art class with the kids because I know he was probably enjoying it more than they were.

Miss you friend.