Saturday, June 28, 2008

You asked for pictures....

Chris and I got to experience an African Graduation today.  It was to start at 10, but since Chris was speaking we got there about 9:30am.  African time is a little different than American time.  We thought it was going to be 2 hours... in actuality it was to be 5 hours.  It didn't begin until 1130.  The PA system showed up about 12 and the programs came at about 1245.  That's the way they do things here, I believe.  It was very interresting.  Silly us, we thought it would start at 10, be over by 12 and we could go eat and get a few things done.  Not the case.  We finally ate and drank our first meal of the day at about 5:45pm.  Whew!  We've got to get our bellies used to this!


After they recieved their deplomas there was no waiting until all had recieved theirs.  The families immediately got up and went to their graduate.  They adorned them with garland.  (See picture below)  It was really very sweet.  The families we SO excited!

The lighting was bad inside, so not many pictures came out.  But there is something about this girls' silhouette I just love!  She was singing praise songs and you can see kibera in the back.

22 grads

Looking out the door of the building.  This is the edge of Kibera.

Chris with the pastors from Kawangware.  (Opps!  We left his dress coat!) 


We were totally cracking up at Timothy's hat.  Isn't that HA-larious?  I wish you could see the top of it.  He got the privilege of wearing it b/c he's the principle of the school.  

Had to take a picture of this billboard.  Every time we drive by we say hello to Thad Howell.  Doesn't it look just like him?  Being a pilot on his cell phone makes it no question. Love ya Thad!  (click picture to enlarge... yea- still looks like him... even really big)

How funny is this?  The Kenyans are all about Obama.  They are selling Obama shirts in several locations.  Since he has family that are Kenyans they are all about him.  We have had several people ask us "Are you voting for Obama?"  
"The wait is on"- what in the world is that supposed to mean?

So I was a little obsessed with this cute little bowl thingy.  I played with it almost the whole dinner.  It was pepper on one side, salt on the other.  It had this darling little spoon in which you used to season your food.  I gotta get one of these.  Notice I had my own little chiminea too!  I was lovin' it!  (again, click picture so you can see my precious little salt and pepper bowl.  Now you're ALL going to want one)

8 years together and he's still dating me.  I love him!  He even switches
desserts with me when I don't like mine.  Pretty sure he loves me too!  ;)

5 comments:

Hall Family said...

Great Pictures! Keep them coming!!
We loved the girl's silhouette too. It reminded me of this verse....
"The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him." Exodus 15:2
Blessings-Hall Family

Anonymous said...

These are great... and so are you guys!! The silhouette pic. is my favorite...other than Lindy and her cute lil' bowl!!

Miss you bunches but can't wait to hear more!!!


Love you more than you know!!

Paige

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
Great pictures! Chrissy wants to know where the money went from my second job doing billboards. Thanks for the royalties.

I check your blog frequently on my *phone* and always look forward to your updates. Hopefully we can get to visit soon. Take care of yourselves.

Thad Chrissy & Calista Howell

Julli said...

Lindy, you look so happy! You are just beaming with His love! God bless you and Chris throughout each day!

The Beaver Bunch said...

So, so, so good to talk to you this morning. Thanks for the encouraging comment...I love you too!