Why are we so scared of the dark? Why do we think being in the dark is a "bad" thing. Maybe the Lord is just trying to teach us something while we're in the dark. Maybe it is in the dark where teachable moments happen. Maybe it is in the dark where we truly have faith.
You may laugh, but i used to try to run down the road or the beach with my eyes closed just to see how long I could stand it. I would count my steps aloud as I squeezed my eyes as tight as possible only to open them again. Each time I would try to beat the record before. Though I could plainly see the surface I was running on and I could SEE there was nothing in my path to trip over, I could still only run about 20 steps.
Have you ever heard Africa referred to as "the dark continent"? Well, I figured out why tonight. Because when there is no light pollution: no flashlights, headlights, or fires... it is "DARK". Chris and I had an experience tonight and now I know why. Before we stepped onto Kenyan soil I wanted pray about some things specifically so I wrote my prayer out in my journal during one of my sleepless plane rides. I want to preface this story with a portion of this prayer so you can see HOW God answered it.
"...Lord prepare the way- be the lamp unto my feet and light unto my path. Plant my feet so firmly on the Rock and foundation of your spotless Lamb and Holy word. Oh God please use us in a mighty way. Take away any pride or timidity that may stand in the way..."
With this prayer in mind- here is how our evening went:
Our night guard, Noah, lives "not far" from Kawangware slums. His wife lives about 8 hours west of here due to family and money situations. Lucy surprised Noah by showing up on Sunday. (Mind you, he had not seen their 4 month old baby boy yet, b/c when he took his vacation in January to go see her...she never went into labor until after he had left to come back here to work.) So we invited them over for dinner tonight. (I made Mexicalli. One of Ma's famous ones.) After dinner CT and I drove Lucy and baby home because it was dark- Noah had to work. (Every time we are out past dark we tell ourselves we aren't going to make a habit of it b/c the pot holes are a doosey in the dark... so are the Kenyans. They're a bit hard to see walking across the road at night. Somehow it has become a habit.) We pulled over once we got near her house. I still had the baby strapped to me at that point. Lucy said "Come now and see my house!" CT said "Well, I really can't leave the car right here." Opening my door Lucy said "Then Mama come, let's go." Personally, I didn't want to go trudging through the mud and unknown in the pitch dark. That was not my idea of fun. Falling out of my mouth as I swung out the car door with child in arms were the words "Chris, it's okay, it's okay... she said it's not far". Looking back I'm sure those words weren't so comforting, but Lucy had shut the door before Chris could say anything. So down the muddy embankment we went together. The further we walked away from the road the darker it got. I was squeezing that baby so tight. We followed a path between some bushes and past a few houses. I literally could not see a single step I took. Naturally the obvious fell out of my mouth "I can't see!" Immediately I was embarrassed. Lindy, do you think she CAN see? Do you think she's been able to see in the dark for the past 30-some years? She's been walking by faith her whole life. We finally got to a rusty old gate. She pulled it open and we proceeded to her house. She stepped into the house, held one arm out and with a smile on her face she proudly said "This is our home." In about 8 to 10 steps I walked from one side of the house to the other. She pulled out a chair and asked my to sit. I politely declined knowing CT was going to be flipping if I were gone much longer. I thanked her for her hospitality and I began out the door with her right behind me. I was sure that she would only walk me to the gate. As I approached the gate I saw a small light and heard my favorite familiar voice say "Lindy- I'm right here." We started back to the car together with a light. I told him how we walked to her house in the dark. He said "I know" and tried to turn off his flashlight...we tried twice. But since we HAD the light, we couldn't NOT use it. I thanked Chris for coming to get me. He replied "I wouldn't have stayed in the car." He confessed that as soon as the door shut he pulled off the road as far as he could, shoved it in park, found a light and jumped out. I asked him how in the world he found me and how he knew where to go. He said "Lindy, honey, Kenyans are quiet and very soft spoken... and you... aren't so much. I just followed your voice." (I had no clue I was being that loud. I mean could i please draw any more attention to myself?)
Tonight... my prayer was answered.
May your faith abound... even in the darkness.
4 comments:
God is so good! I must admit, my girls lol when I read the last part to them!
We loved the pictures of the Baby!
Blessings-Hall Family
Chris and Lindy, your obedience is a testimony. I am keeping you in my prayers. Hannah absolutely loved the little one. She is ready to come to Africa. Take care and know that so many are praying for you. We Love You
Linders and Chris- I went from laughing out loud when I saw the title "Looky what I found!" to so awed and humbled that God loves us so much that He allows us to walk in the dark to see how incredibly, how desperately we need His light. I can not tell you the number of times that I think of you both every day and how I thank God for His plans to minister both through you and to you. I love you both, friends
I love it when God is so obvious. Thanks for missing us like cheap chicken...I don't have anything catchy, but we miss the mess out of you guys too. Glad we're connected now. Skype ya later.
Post a Comment