Friday, May 16, 2008

Meeting fellow servants...

Thursday night Joy came in from Boone and we drove to Charlotte to her friend's place.  I must say we hadn't had much time to talk, so I thought we were going down there to hear David Johnson speak at a church or auditorium.  Well, I learn as we are pulling in that we were there just to "hang out" with fellow believers that have hearts for the oppressed.  I asked Joy: "So David Johnson (1) is coming to just 'hang out'"?  She looked at me kinda funny and said "well, Yea."  You see, in my mind he's kind of famous in a way due to his involvement in helping the oppressed people of Sudan.  He is doing something I have dreaming of for the past year and a half.   
Here Chris was trying to send me with a video camera to tape the "speakers", but I told him I wasn't going to take it because I'd be the only dork with a camera.  Boy would I have felt like a ding dong walking up in there with my video camera.  Sure am glad Joy saved the day.  Poor Chris, just wanted to be able to hear. 
Any way, so we ended up being the first ones there. We walk into this super cool apartment in downtown Charlotte and meet the most precious couple.  They were so down to earth and on fire!  There were 12 of us there all together; a few couples, David, Joy and I.  Well, a long story short, David has actually been to the Livingstone House and stayed there!  Later on in the night I asked if he could remember when he first started learning about the horrific acts happening in Sudan.  To which he replied "I was actually sitting at your kitchen table at the Livingstone house about a year and a half ago."  The guy he had traveled to Ethiopia with wanted him to know what he was getting himself into if he wanted to shoot in Sudan.  So he slid him some papers and a book to him, sitting at that kitchen table.  I'm flippin' out!  I just thought that was the coolest thing ever!  I had a million other questions to ask him about Sudan, but forgot most of them.  
... Who knows though, maybe he'll come back to the Livingstone house one day.  

(1.) David has traveled around the world doing documentaries  of oppressed, persecuted, and suffering individuals.  His heaviest involvement being in Sudan.  Purchasing Voices of Sudan is well worth your money as ALL of the proceeds go to provide relief efforts to the Sudanese.  The book is only $20 and is a great way to educate others on what is happening in Sudan. 

4 comments:

Joy said...

WHAT a fabulous night. i am so stinken glad we did that--even though it was way last minute and just for the evening and i only got to spend one night...i think it hit me today that you really ARE leaving in less than a month, and i won't have the privilege to take a sporadic trip to t-ville for the night or meet in the best buy parking lot in winston for an hour...just to see you. hope you know how much i love you.

skylar jones said...

hey guys! i recently found this arts empowerment project happening in Africa and i thought you guys would be interested in checking it out. be sure to listen to the song at the top right corner!

skylar jones said...

yeah i forgot to put the website in the last comment.

ariverblue.org

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris and Lindy,

i am here in nbo but only for another couple hours. i was expecting to find your location and then get a chance to greet you in Jesus' name. i hope you are doing well. i hope that you are not experiencing problems from jetlag. this trip was one of the best for me...at least, coming.

i have a 10pm flight so will leave from the SP guesthouse in a couple hours. Sorry i missed you. actually, i tried to find your place but the only information you gave me in email is pobox but no street address. ....and believe me, nobody knows 'Miriam'.... or at least, the 5 or so people we asked didn't know her. so after looking for Tano House for 20 minutes we came back to town. Even the numbers you gave were not working at all. i had a few local friends try every number but nothing. bummed.
The info i have from your email:
HOME 2700047
MOBILE 735159020

Maybe next time. i love you guys and pray you are able to pick up Kswahili quickly and thoroughly.

Bless you,

brother John