Since there is so much to share- I will skip the fancy, tender intro and jump into what is really going on.

Today I went into Kibera with Chris and a guest named John. Tafrosa was not around and Mama Sylvia declined my offer to help in the kitchen. So I went around to the back of the house where Bereith School is held. Trying to scoot in so that Brian and Paul don't see me (which is almost impossible)- I sat down with the head teacher. Charity has told me before about some of her needs, but unfortunately, we have not had the funds to assist her. She shared with me what is going on in her life most recently. Charity has a medical problem that she needs to get checked out, but is unable to b/c of the lack of funds. She has asked Tafrosa for a loan, but she is unable to assist her. It is difficult for her as she is trying to support both she and her husband. She comes from about an hour away every day in order to teach at Berith. What an amazing gift she has of teaching, but as you may know, teachers make very little. As tears began to build in her eyes, I too, began to cry. Not only for her current situation but ours as well. I tried to explain to her that she and I are both in similar situations. Neither of us know the "why" of our situation. Neither of us know "where" the money will come from. But BOTH of us MUST trust that our Lord will provide. That HE has a great plan for both of us. HE has our best interest in mind. I told her that I would love to be praying for her. At the end of our day there, I went to her and hugged her. I told her I'd be praying and thinking of her. She, once again, asked if I would talk to Chris and see if we could assist her.
Faith- is a 15 year old little girl with an amazing presence about her. She lights up a room with her smile. Unfortunately, Faith has a terrible debilitating disease called Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA). Onset was about 3 years ago and after 1 year she was in too much pain to continue going to school. It is so heart breaking to see her joints so deformed. We were able to take her to a free clinic in kawangware 2 weeks ago. Since we knew a few people at the clinic they totally hooked her up. She got p
rednisone, Ibuprofen, albuterol inhalers, and omeprazole. She is also on Methotrexate and something like Fosamax, but they didn't have those things, of course. Ibuprofen doesn't even touch the pain that she has in her joints. The joints become feverish, painful, achey, and swollen. She just sits or lays on the couch most days. The day we took her to the clinic was the first day she had been out of Kwangware in 2 years! Which wasn't really "out" but she got to go in the car. The pain medication that actually works for her is controlled and more expensive. Despite the pain in her aching joints, back and chest, she continues to smile.

Another friend of mine has so much on her plate. On top of wearing so many hats- her son just came home from up country with a 10 month old child that is his. The mother of the child and the grandparents met with my friend and her husband. They told her to take the baby and care for her so that their daughter to go to get an education beyond High School. The girl left her baby without a single tear. My friend is so broken hearted for this child and the mother who left her without ever looking back. Just stood before me and just cried. She, too, has financial burdens.
My sweet Isaac. Mama Sylvia told Beatrice that she saw him during the weekend pilaging through a heap of trash for food. He isn't being taken care of. His legs are so skinny; knees and ankles knobby as can be. He doesn't bathe- he has to be told by the teachers to take a bath. I think when his sister is not around, he doesn't get taken care of. Though he is 11, he is unable to process things like a normal 11 year old.
Precious Brian. Brian (6) now weighs less than Paul (4). Paul is very bright and learning so much. Due to Brian's severe malnourishment when we first met, his body just struggles to keep up. He just got over Malaria.
Mama Brian (same person as "mama sylvia") seems to be doing the best she can. I'm chomping at the bit to get them moved from where they are in the middle of Kibera. I want them to move closer to the school and out of the valley of the slum. Every time it rains I think of them. They are literally in the lowest part of Kibera. I don't even want to imagine what kind of mess flows through their "house" when it rains really hard. I desperately want to pay the $20-$30 increase it will be in rent to move them to a new location.
Though these seem like such small amounts- they really add up. Our support continues to decline. I feel so completely helpless, but i know the one who can help. I just try and remind our friends here that are going through all these things that God is still sovereign and He still cares about your struggles and needs. He is the only one who can truly meet them.
2 comments:
You are amazing, and God has you right where you are for reasons He is well aware of. Though what you see is difficult, please remember that our Lord sees these things with much different eyes than we do. All of these are an opportunity for him to work and show his grace in ways that he sees sufficient. We are praying for you, but we are also praying for these that you mention and the pain they are enduring. I love you.
I'm with Matt...after reading your post, its obvious that God has you guys where you are for specific reasons.
We are praying for you guys...we miss you guys like CRAZY...and we LOVE you guys like crazy!!
Post a Comment