Returning to Caswell to work on Summer Staff wasn't my first choice. Three years was long enough for me already, but circumstances left me with little option for employment and living. Down in the dumps and feeling as worthless as a I could possibly feel, I besought Brian Hemphill for an opportunity to work that summer. He needed someone. I agreed to come and serve, yet again. The first few days were nice. Catching up with old friends and making new ones begun to heal a vacant place in my heart.

Then I met her. She was young. Very young. But she left an impression on me so incredible, I found myself wondering "what if." Guys will talk of good-looking girls with words like "hot", "beautiful", "gorgeous", or some other overwhelming term. Though those words are also true of her, that isn't the term that best describes my impression of her: She burned beyond her looks. Her personality glowed, her character beamed, and her kindness transcended. I was hooked and didn't even know it.
It was January of 2001.
I was driving to Thomasville, North Carolina to take this young lady out for a first date. We didn't date or even express our real interests during the summer before, but now those interests couldn't be withheld any longer. I was not sure how this was going to play out. Friends would joke about her age, but they didn't know the years of maturity she displayed in her conduct. I was fortunate. I knew what they couldn't see.
I pulled into 667 Lee Rd on a Friday afternoon only to be greeted by a long haired smiling woman who was beside herself with joy at my arrival. It only took one look that afternoon and I was certain. This was going to be unlike any experience of my life. (...and it still is)
It was March of 2001.
She had been nervous about asking me the question. It had been on her mind for days, but she was so scared about asking. Finally as we sat in the quietness of her parent's living room, she asked, "How did your mother pass away?"
I spent the next 30 minutes telling her my surreal story of the best-worst summer of my life. I talked about my love for my mom. I told her how that single moment forever changed my future. I wasn't the same person and I was glad I wasn't. I was glad that God was working me into something... better. Someone she would be proud of.
She wept for so long after that. She wept because she knew she'd never had the fortune of meeting her and enjoying long talks about life over a cup of coffee. She knew that this relationship was worth investing in. A key component of me was not accessible to her. And so she wept because her heart was making room to invite me in very soon.
It was July of 2003.
She had no clue. She knew she could never foresee my surprises coming and this one was no exception. Several post-midnight hours were logged as my creative side's "life's work" was in production. I have the best friends anyone could ask for. Selflessly they stayed with me as I created my gift for her.
She came into the multi-purpose building at Rich Fork with no clue as to what lay in waiting for her. She always asked me to take her sailing, which I vowed to do that first summer at Caswell. Now I was going to make good on that promise. She climbed into her make-shift sail boat of cardboard and Christmas lights with this look only akin to seeing a 6 year olds face as they enter Disney World for the first time.
Her voyage took her through the past. She watched images unfold of our childhoods apart and then our recent years together. She smiled, she laughed, she cried, ... she radiated. Then she radiated brighter than ever as she squeaked out an emotional "yes."
It was January of 2007.
Her heart was sensing God leading her into more. Nursing had been a wonderful experience on so many levels for her. She grew in her confidence of herself. She also grew close to several young women who sharpened her faith as she did theirs. It was in one of these relationships she learned about suffering peoples around the world. She would hear stories of pain and sorrow in Africa. Her heart burned for this mysterious place and this odd connection to a people she had never met.
She sat in bed one night and poured out her built-up heart's burden to me. I resisted the notion of my wife going to a dangerous place to do something she had never done before. She stood up to me. I was more impressed than ever by her faith and desire to listen to God.
It was this key night that we still look to as a monumental moment in our process of coming to missions. And God spoke to her first!
Its November 3, 2008.
I have been privileged with the most incredible woman on earth for the past eight years. She has done more in her 26 years than the majority of the world will do in their entire lifetime. And I am her number 1 fan.
She still has me hooked and I want her to know it. Lindy Rollins Thompson, you are the brightest part of the tangible evidence of God in my life. And everyday you gain radiance. Happy Birthday!
Most of you are like me. You know how special she is to each you. Care to tell her?
Lindy Rollins Thompson
November 3, 1982
16 comments:
WOW Chris! That has to be the sweetest thing I have ever seen a man do for his wife-writing a story about their life together! You both are amazing people!
Happy Birthday Lindy!
Oh my word! I am just bawling!
Linders,
No words could express just how much I have come to love you over the last year. We have been separated by years, life experience and, most recently, thousands of miles. With each of those things your genuine heart has shown through. I can see, so easily, why Chris loves you completely.
I love you girl. And, by all means, have a Happy Birthday!
Joy, laughter, tenderness, and most of all deep longing to know Christ on a level most of us only hope for. These are a very few if the attributes you hold my special daughter. Where or where have the years gone? Only yesterday you were out back in the tree house eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with Ashley, Wendy and Matt. Happy 26th birthday little girl.
Love you forever,
Ma
Lindy Thompson!!!
Happy Birthday!! I can't say how much I love you!! I thank God every day for letting you come into my life!! You're incredibly special and dear to my heart!! You have helped and changed me more than anyother!! You absolutley amaze me and I love you!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Well I just love you both! Happy Happy Birthday Linders!!
It seems like just yesterday when this story began. I consider myself greatly blessed to have been a small part of this story and I look forward to what the next 26 years has in store for both of you, your family, and your ministry.
Linders, I hope you know how precious you are to me as my sister. I could try to put it in words, but they wouldn't even begin to express the friend I have found in you. Have a wonderful birthday sis!
Most sisters look up to their older brothers, but in many ways it is quite opposite for me. Even thought I think we are quite similar in the fact that we are both very sensitive to the needs of others....but I feel like my ways of conveying this have been tainted over the last few years. Lindy's are anything but that. She has a heart of gold and "loves to love" like no one I've ever met. God has blessed her with a willing and obedient heart to pair this gift with that makes her a true rarity in any body of believers, and much more so in this world of darkness. I love you very much Lindy, I am prouder of you than I'll ever be able to convey. Happy twenty somethingith.
Also, I see you thought no one noticed, but apparently mom also saw you Sunday eating that peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the treehouse. BUSTED. Act your age girl.
Octagunal.
That's the word that describes our beginning (and I'm not sure it's a real word). I'm not sure where you were going (Chapel Hill I think) or why. I just remember Todd coming home and talking about this amazing girl. What blossomed is something I cherish. A friendship -a familialship that bonds our hearts when our hands cannot be bound. I love you - Happy Birthday.
We've been friends for so long it seems like there's never been a time that we weren't friends. From our days of dancing to the Lion King soundtrack at Bobbi's to our belly laughing at ridiculous things; I will always always cherish our friendship. It's crazy how we can have thousands of miles between or live right down the road from each other, but still find ourselves picking up right where we left off. I love you friend. Happy Birthday! I can't wait to see what else the future has in store for you and Chris.
Linders- I love you. It's just that simple. I love your heart, your passion for Christ and your desire that others would have the same hope you possess. You are a precious vessel for Him whose love just spills out onto all around you...I love you-em
Oh my gosh...that totally made me cry! I miss ya'll so much! You are an amazing girl Linder...I'm so glad ya;ll have each other. I love you both:)
Lindy,
Hope you have had a wonderful birthday! You and Chris are so lucky to have each other and be able to share your faith each day! I can't wait to see the two of you and hear all about your experiences.
You have shared your faith and nursing skills with me. You inspire me to be a better Christian. I am proud to know you! Love, Barnes
Well Lindy I am not really sure how long I have known you. But i kind of remember when you played soccer for east davidson so it's been awhile i guess i can say. But I sit back and watch you & realize if I can be a 10th of you then I must be doing something right. I have really looked up to you for awhile even before this whole Africa ordeal and well you just seemed so giving. i even remember d-now weekend. you might remember the saying "Fat" you know Faithful, Available, Teachable I will never forget you & Emily Mann teaching us that & I do beleive i might have just been in Middle school. But girl i do love you & i can see why Chris does to.
hey i forgot to tell you in my email...i like the second pair--the plain brown ones--corduroy lookin'? they were different and i think they would go with everything, esp. since everyone goes to great lengths to match here. i mean both are good choices:) love you:)
O.K. I'm sitting here with tears pouring down my cheeks... so much for the Estee Lauder!! And I have church in a bit...won't I be spiffy! Chris & Lindy... I wish I could bottle the incredible love you have for each other and give it to all couples. It's so clear your deep love for Jesus... your marriage is just another beautiful way for others to see Him through you! It's such a sweet pleasure to know you both. Thanks
Post a Comment